Are there any Brits under 50 in the Charente-Limousin area ?

Hi all

We have family who live just outside Bussiere Boffy, my wifes parents aged 60's and her sister with husband and kids aged early 40's.

(Haute Digardeche Farm). Her parents are retired, but the brother in law is a builder and have been out there for 12 years.

We are very keen on taking the step to come and move over, I am 39, the wife is 36 and twins aged 3, its just a matter of taking the step. Also I am a keen biker, I have never been without one since being 17 years old.

What scares me is moving over and finding work, my previous career was as a Chef and catering manager and 15 years in the Army,  I was medically discharged and pensioned out for leg injuries.  As I have problems with my legs, I cannot stand or do heavy lifting anymore, hence not being in the catering game now.  I now basically work 4 days on 4 days off as a communications officer sat behind a computer.

I want a better life for the wife, kids and myself instead of what we get here in the UK.

We have talked about possibly opening a fish and chip bar somewhere, with my catering experience I have.

My wifes family keep saying to just come over. 

We have been coming over to France since 1995 every year and love it, visiting my wifes sister and now parents out there in the Charente and Haute Vienne area's

Any thoughts or advice.

Kind regards

Lee & Elin

Yes it is definitley a better lifestyle out here, its all very well saying just come over but you have to make a living somehow ! Fish and chips could work as there are a lot of Brits out here, but correct pacement would be needed - do your research first ! Maybe on a main route which could serve two or more towns ?

We are only a few km from Bussiere Boffy in a tiny hamlet called Demorange.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="LEO"][quote user="Bugbear"]

And whats wrong with the over fifties ?

[:D][:D][:D]

[/quote]

I feel like 49 every time I have a glass of Grouse!

Leo

[/quote]

[:D]

thats funny because I feel about 59 after a glass of Calvados!

[quote user="samanta"][quote user="LEO"][quote user="Bugbear"]

And whats wrong with the over fifties ?

[:D][:D][:D]

[/quote]

I feel like 49 every time I have a glass of Grouse!

Leo

[/quote]

[:D]

thats funny because I feel about 59 after a glass of Calvados!

[/quote]

Hi Samanta,

I used to be 59 and I live Calvsdos!

Bit more than that, about 45 minutes cos thats how long it used to take us from Suaux to here. I'm Jon the old one at 44 the wife is Sophie a wee whippersnapper at 28, we are from Devon (actually I am from Bham originally but we lived in Devon before we moved here).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi

We are looking to buy in that area this year (2008), getting excited now but also lots of planning.

By the way we are 39 and 44. We are keen entertainers here in UK love French wine, cooking, animals, i want to take my horse with me and in the next few years start up riding stables. Love Soul music, John does like bikes he just sold his for the winter as he never rode it, plus trying to raise more funds!!

First we got to find more staff to help run our 2 shops in UK before we move over full time.

So to start with maybe will only have long visits, this depends on the animal movement side of things as i also have 2 cats and a dog.

Hoping to get to Charente this may for viewings, so got lots to plan.

have looked at the pets thread on here but evrybody seems to have only bad news about the rabbies jab, does anybody have any poistive experiences?

michelle and John

manchester to Charente hopefully soon!!!

[quote user="Michelle"]

have looked at the pets thread on here but everybody seems to have only bad news about the rabies jab, does anybody have any positive experiences?

[/quote]

Hi Michelle

What is 'only bad news'? I have had 3 dogs done and have had no problems, You need to read the rules very carefully and allow plenty of time to get things done, with good planing you shouldn't have any problems.

Yes there is 'bad news' it costs a lot of money [:-))], I know that I prefer to have my pets with me than in kennels.

If you have any queries then post them and you will get good advice

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Well I'm 39 and Phil is a very young 56! and we pick the keys up to our new house in 16 (Chassiecq) a week tomorrow. Phil will be moving over permanently when we sell our house in Hampshire and I will be commuting at weekends from London. Still have 2 and a bit years to do in the Royal Navy. We both ride bikes and both know how to party!!!! We're coming over for a week next Friday with our mate Nigel who used to race in The IOM Grand Prix. Would be great to meet folks who live locally!

Sara[kiss]