"Buy a jerryxan and keep it filled. we may have to put up with more French democracy this summer"

If I read Le Courrier (Deux Sèvres edition) this morning correctly, it said that le préfet des Deux Sèvres, Régis Guyot, has issued 'un arrêté' forbidding the use of jerrycans in the Deux Sèvres.  Several fuel stations had to close, including the Leclercs at Bressuire & St Maixent. Ségolène Royal is apparently going to meet the blockading fishermen at La Rochelle tomorrow.(again)

No is the answer. First thing to do is to rationalize journeys to waste as little mileage as possible, second is to slow down. I try to drive at 2000 rpm max on my diesel and to accelerate slowly, which gives me about 5.1 litres to 100 kms. This effectively means 90 kph on motorways and about 80 kph on other roads, which leaves a tiny bit to accelerate if needed. I also slip out of gear as often as possible. Tyre pressures slightly higher than before but not much.

[quote user="Baz"]

It may be all well and good trying to find fuel, but with a barrel of oil reaching 135$ this afternoon an all time high, will you be able to afford it in the weeks to come? [/quote]

Good point, Baz.  We're in rural Mid-Wales at the moment, where diesel is £1.29 a litre and rising. Being on a limited income, we already think carefully whether a particular journey is necessary (it's a 12 mile round trip to the nearest tiny town for a reasonably priced supermarket) and we find ourselves going out noticeably less frequently in recent months.

Wooly, I don't know if you are "quotable" so I will paraphrase, if I may.

You say that you "slip out of gear" as often as you can.  Do you mean you are just "coasting"?  But, Wooly, I understand that is very dangerous so you musn't do it. 

I'm just a woman [;-)] so what do I know about these things?  Perhaps SD or someone else will come along soon and give you the same advice.

After all, we wouldn't want you to go the way of your late departed brother, would we?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

You say that you "slip out of gear" as often as you can.  Do you mean you are just "coasting"?  But, Wooly, I understand that is very dangerous so you musn't do it. 

[/quote]

It can be dangerous if not done with knowledge, experience and care, and in selected circumstances. It is possibly (probably) illegal and if not then certainly "frowned upon"

However, it does, over time, save fuel. How much I have no idea. It would not be recommended as a method of descending a mountain pass with multiple hairpin bends.

nb. Many years ago I believe Saab marketed a car which actually did automatically declutch on the over run.

It was called 'Freewheel' and the fondly named 'Auntie' Rovers of the late 50's had it. It didn't de-clutch Anton but disengaged the gearbox from the axle on the overrun which is why it couldn't be had with the overdrive option, it was one or the other.

As as others have pointed out there is nothing intrinsically dangerous in the practice.

[img]http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/images/ownerburnell_01.jpg[/img]