Another pension question

Gemonimo

I need advice as to the best (ok, cheapest) way to receive my UK pension in France.  I suppose they will charge their usual commission etc but would it be better to have the pension paid quarterly? Alternatively, should I (could I) open a bank account in the UK and make the transfers myself? It's not a huge pension but I don't like the idea of giving any of it to my bank.

So what you're saying, Wooly is that the pension (I don't use the old age bit - tellement depriment[Www]) will arrive in France in euros. If this is correct then I won't have additional charges as the SocGen's booklet on 'Tarifs en vigeur' says that a virement in euros from an account in the zone SEPA (Espace Economique Europeen, Monaco et Suisse) is gratuit as long as it is less than €50,000.

AFAIK, no charges either end.

Not a bad thing to do in a way, because you will get your income spread out over the course of the year and so you'd balance the better rates with the not so good ones.

You WON'T be able to open a UK account, Gem, as you do not have a legitimate address in the UK.

Mine is such a pittance that I just get it paid into an existing UK account and let it accummulate, changing any sums that I might need as and when.

[quote user="Gemonimo"]

So what you're saying, Wooly is that the pension (I don't use the old age bit - tellement depriment[Www]) will arrive in France in euros. If this is correct then I won't have additional charges as the SocGen's booklet on 'Tarifs en vigeur' says that a virement in euros from an account in the zone SEPA (Espace Economique Europeen, Monaco et Suisse) is gratuit as long as it is less than €50,000.

[/quote]

So you will be paying then [:D]

[quote user="PaulT"][quote user="Gemonimo"]

[/quote]

So you will be paying then [:D]

[/quote]

I wish!!!!!!

Sweets, I thought that was the case but my bank conseilleur told me that as the UK is part of europe, then I could[:-))] I think he needs to go back to the factory for reprogramming.

I know I don't have a 'legitmate' address in the UK but I found a Woolwich Building Society passbook with the princely sum of (twenty years ago) £8.35 with my old London address.  Couldn't I just reactivate that account, assuming that the Woolwich is still around, and give my daughter's address?  I know it's not really legit, but a UK bank a/c would be useful if only for when I'm visiting my mother.

Try as I might, I've never found a better rate (since the demise of the Nationwide charge-free cash machine withdrawals) than the one my occupational pension provider gets to transfer my money every 4 weeks.  Unless you need to keep any money in the UK, I'd say go for it, Gem.

One small problem we used to have with money being paid into the account (with Credit Agricole) is the bank insisted on sending a letter to inform us that money had been paid in from abroad, and charging for the letter (look on the tarifs list for "avis d'opération"). However, a polite letter to the bank has now put a stop to this.[:)]

[quote user="cooperlola"]That's odd, Tina.  Certainly didn't happen to me for the regular tranfers (only one-off payments which - as you say - is easily stopped.[:)])[/quote]

Could be just our branch - they tend to get quite exited about anything exotic, like foreign transfers, as we are pretty rural.[;-)]