la rochelle to merschers

I shall be staying on the coast  in June has anyone got any ideas as to what I could do around that area inland, or even around the coast area for that matter?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Leo

I think there are 1001 + options for what to do in that area. It all depends on time /  transport / weather etc. though June weather is usuallly good.

There is so much you could do but here are some ideas to begin with:

• La Rochelle, Brouage, Rochefort are all very interesting places to visit.
  • Ile d'Oleron and the other islands are worth visiting.
  • Take the Ré bus from La Rochelle to the Ile de Ré this saves paying to take a car over the bridge. There you can hire a bike and explore.
  • Don't miss Talmont which is just beyond Meschers.

Bonne chance[:)]

Superb shops and eating houses in La Rochelle. Lovely beach and harbour area so I am sure there will be things to do and see in all types of weather conditions. A beautiful place and always a firm favourite with our visitors.

Mayday   I hope you are right .....I am a regular user of the bridge St Martin-de-Re is a favorite place to go on Sundays ..I  love that island..you always find a sheltered beach out of the wind on it ...I can see why French football players buy  houses there .. 

Mayday .....have they paid the construction costs off early ? .......It was supposed to take to Jan 2012 before it was made free ?  I see the locals dont like the idea of a free bridge ..it will encourage more visiters from  "Le Continent "

and most will be.." Not of high social level " .... I  have been getting away with it..... as they havent cottoned on to me yet...Better not mention my grandad worked down the pit then ?

We have been thinking about a day at Ile de Re sometime. I did not realise it was a posh place though as where we live no one seems to really dress up. I will have to sort out some posh clothes, wash off the  gardening mud and look for the slap that  I stopped wearing since living in France.  I can do POSH .   [:D][:D]

[quote user="valB"]We have been thinking about a day at Ile de Re sometime. I did not realise it was a posh place though as where we live no one seems to really dress up. I will have to sort out some posh clothes, wash off the  gardening mud and look for the slap that  I stopped wearing since living in France.  I can do POSH .   [:D][:D][/quote]

It is known as the St. Tropez of the region with house prices to match and celebs. visiting etc. Don't worry though, it's not all posh and lots of people there do not belong to the smart set, so jeans and a T shirt will do fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Jazzer wrote the following post at 11/03/2009 10:18:

I beleive the authorities are thinking of levying an "Eco" tax  to replace the toll when the loan is repaid this year.

I crossed the bridge to Ile de Ré a week ago and they are still charging 9euros for a smallish car at this time of year.

I too have heard about the proposed "Eco" tax and this infomation came from a local source. I think they hope that even when the building costs have been paid if they still charge to cross the bridge it will keep the hoards away.

If you go do visit St Martin, La Flotte and the Phare des Baleines, well worth the climb to the top of the lighthouse.

When we holidayed near La Rochelle a few years ago the local tourist board had a programme of open air theatre.  We went to two: Hello Mr Joe (which was held in an old enclosed 'fort') and another one in the amphitheatre at Saintes (I forget the name of the play).  They were wonderful and really made our holiday.  The show's started at sunset but most people arrived earlier and brought a picnic with them.  Does anyone know if these shows are still performed?

Edit: seems they are http://www.charente-maritime.org/espace_professionnels/sites_en_scene/cp_s_e_s_2_2008.pdf.  As I recall they were free of charge - on a first come first served basis.

Scooby

The August "spectacle"events at the amphitheatre in Saintes have to be booked in advance and they charge a very small fee 2 or 3 euros.

I think Site en Scene events are still free but start late and it can be chilly so one needs to take suitable clothing, blanket and cushions.

I think it was the Site en Scenes we went to - but one was definitely in the amphitheatre at Saintes.  I remember we arrived a tad early and so went to have a meal (on a little square near the law courts) - lovely meal as I recall.  OH's first taste of andouille...which he pronounced delicious [blink].

• 3 weeks later...

pitway wrote the following post at 18/04/2009 10:43:

The bridge will still have a toll, the bridge further south is now free.

There is only one bridge to the Ile de Ré and as you say there is still a toll for that.

Further south would be the bridge to the Ile d'Oleron which is free.

• 2 weeks later...

Leo.

If you are in the area in June don't forget to visit Talmont. Every Tuesday evening through the Summer beginning on 23 June the village is illuminated by candles.  All the shopkeepers and residents put candles in the streets and the effect is magic! The shops and cafes stay open until 11pm and there is usually street entertainment as well. A very pleasant way to spend a Tuesday evening!