What insect or animal sounds as iif it is a childs rattle?

Hi

sat in my 10ft square garden this afternoon and heard this noise that sounds like a small childs rattle. I have never heard it before, dont know if it could be a snake or if it is some kind of insect.

I had a good look round but couldnt see anything so no visuals sorry.

I am just curious as to what it could be thanks in advance.

Judith

Hello

Someone more knowlegeable will need to come along on this but I beleive it could be the Black Redstart which makes a kind of sound like two marbles clinking together, very much like a childs rattle, we had loads when in France and now I've been lucky enough to encounter one in the UK where they are quite rare.

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/blackredstart.htm

Yep, it is the Black Redstart Treefrog, native of Mongolia, known to breed here when the political climate at home is too hard. Its eggs look like snails. Be careful, they have fangs and love pastis; in fact, they have been known to kill for half a bottle of the stuff! When angered, they dive for the bolox and can reduce a fully exposed man to a gibbering wreck in seconds.

Meanwhile, no doubt Chris will have the boring facts, but why spoil a good story.

[quote user="Panda"]

Hello

Someone more knowlegeable will need to come along on this but I beleive it could be the Black Redstart which makes a kind of sound like two marbles clinking together, very much like a childs rattle, we had loads when in France and now I've been lucky enough to encounter one in the UK where they are quite rare.

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/blackredstart.htm

[/quote]

On second thoughts, I think Panda is right. We have them in our garden, and they made a nest in the barn roof. They make this clicking sound as a sort of warning cry.

Thanks guys

Wolly you made me chuckle :-)

The sound seem to be stationary for quite a while but I could not see anything then after about 15 mins it moved up the garden.

I have listened to the two sounds on the Black redstart site and it didnt sound like neither of them it really did sound like one of those wooden shake toys.

Judith x