garden bonfires

Recently we had a leaflet from our Maire stating that garden bonfires were not allowed...or words to that effect. A friend of  mine, who lives in another village and comes under another Maire, has an English neighbour who is an absolute pest with his bonfires. Summer or winter he lights them and ignores any polite exchange with our friend about consideration. Is there any hard fast rules regarding bonfires or does it vary from village to village. There really is no need to have bonfires as all the Decheteries have sections for garden waste and use it for recyling for compost. This man is an absolute pest and my friend suffers from Asthma and has to keep all windows and doors closed as the smell and smoke is so bad.

She comes under a different Commune so not sure if the ban applies to her village. Yes, I have suggested to her that she should contact her maire but she lives on her own and her French is not too good.   I am sure someone  may be able to help  with the language barrier

It definitely varies from commune to commune.

Ours has a ban during the summer months (fire risk), our neighbouring commune requires that you get a permit from the fire brigade, whom you then ring on the day given on the permit to get final confirmation - which may be withheld if there are strong winds for example.