Anyone seen proper Ribena (full sugar "unhealthy" variety) for sale in the area, please?  Son and daughter have drunk it all their lives and neither has a filling at 29 & 26 respectively............and no, they haven't lost their teeth altogether!

As Teissere (and others) do such lovely sirops, I can't see how Ribena would find a niche in the general market in France.

You might try one of the irish shops or speciality shops or rayons in the supermarkets and there are those online brit food companies too.

Quite right.  I wouldn't have expected to see it widely displayed, but I was hoping there might be a report of a few odd bottles on a Brit shelf somewhere.  Can't abide the stuff myself, but the family tell me that Ribena is far superior to the French cordials.  I am not sure whether Teissere has been tried yet, so will look out for it.

[quote user="frexpt"]Quite right.  I wouldn't have expected to see it widely displayed, but I was hoping there might be a report of a few odd bottles on a Brit shelf somewhere.  Can't abide the stuff myself, but the family tell me that Ribena is far superior to the French cordials.  I am not sure whether Teissere has been tried yet, so will look out for it.[/quote]

Ribena: Water, Sugar, Blackcurrant Juice from Concentrate (5%), Citric Acid,

Vitamin C, Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Bisulphite), Colour

(Anthocyanins). Product before dilution contains 22% juice. Contains no

artificial colours, artificial flavours or sweeteners.

Teisseire cassis:

Sucre, jus de fruit à base de

concentrés: 30% (cassis 24%, citron), sirop de glucose-fructose, eau,

arômes dont extraits naturels, acidifiant:acide citrique, antioxygène:

acide ascorbique.

.....not forgetting that a 250ml diluted serving of Ribena (made from British blackcurrants) contains 108 calories (5% RDA), 26.3g sugar (29%), nil fat, nil saturates and less than 1% salt and also provides 100% RDA Vitamin C............let's see the French stuff top that!!..........[6]

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="frexpt"]... Ribena (made from British blackcurrants)...[/quote]

Ah, well, that definitely makes all the difference! [:P] [/quote]

... and I was one of the ones who picked them.  [6]  I used to go blackcurrant picking on the Gloucestershire/Herefordshire for the Ribena factory when I was young.  We used to be payed by the bucket (£2 sticks in my mind but I can't remember exactly) and so it didn't matter what age you were.  It was such hard work that at night, I would dream of blackcurrants hanging like swags over the plants.

So ever since, I haven't been able to drink Creme de Cassis.  (I can drink Creme de Menthe, Creme de Mure, Creme de Cacao... so I am not too worried. [:D]  )