Scam?

Chancer

I get loads of scam mails, often purporting to be from Paypal or banks or credit cards that I am not a customer of, this one I am equally suspicious of but something makes me uncertain:

SECURITY WARNING

Dear Customer,

Due to recent concerns, for the safety and integrity of your online account we are upgrading our security system for all accounts.

It has come to our attention that your account details need to be updated to prevent frauds and spoof reports. Our new security system will help you to avoid fraud transactions and to keep your money safe.

For your protection in securing your account in our new security system, click here to visit our website. www.santander.co.uk

If you get any strange calls please contact us immediately on 0845 600 4388
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Security Advisor
Santander Bank Corporation
© 2012 All Rights

I have not clicked on the link, and please dont yourself  but I am sure there was a way of finding out who the original message sender was, can someone remind me please?

Forget that I recall now there is a button for view message source, it revealed the following:

x-store-info:4r51+eLowCe79NzwdU2kR3P+ctWZsO+J

Authentication-Results: hotmail.com; sender-id=temperror (sender IP is 83.208.155.24) [email protected]; dkim=none header.d=santander.co.uk; x-hmca=none

X-Message-Status: s4:0:n

X-SID-PRA: Santander Bank <[email protected]>

X-DKIM-Result: None

X-AUTH-Result: NONE

X-Message-Delivery: Vj0xLjE7dXM9MDtsPTA7YT0wO0Q9MjtHRD0yO1NDTD02

X-Message-Info: 11chDOWqoTmjqhOzvWWho/vK8oL2x1FIoEm0Tn+r3D4Vy8IHo2wUni4i4qLaKhvNqbI3eqX/bzf2NlFW6uf4HUyTjJXFf+u1g6nQvymW8Ra0pVK4akaE1dZpvo+FSkrR

Received: from elson.cz ([83.208.155.24]) by COL0-MC2-F33.Col0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4900);

Thu, 16 Feb 2012 22:22:11 -0800

Received: from User ([70.166.117.163]) by elson.cz with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);

Thu, 16 Feb 2012 19:22:25 +0100

Subject: Security Warning

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 11:23:02 -0700

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/html;

charset="Windows-1251"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

X-Priority: 3

X-MSMail-Priority: Normal

X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000

X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000

Bcc:

Return-Path: [email protected]

Message-ID: <[email protected]>

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 16 Feb 2012 18:22:26.0140 (UTC) FILETIME=[EF27F9C0:01CCECD7]

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY bgcolor=#FFFFFF leftmargin=5 topmargin=5 rightmargin=5 bottommargin=5>

<FONT size=2 color=#000000 face="Arial">

<DIV>

<TABLE bgcolor=#FFFFFF border=0 cellpadding=0 bordercolor=#000000 cellspacing=-1>

<TR valign=top>

<TD width=624 valign=middle>

<FONT size=2 color=#000000 face="Arial">

<DIV align=center>

<FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman"><B>SECURITY WARNING</B></FONT><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman"> </FONT></DIV>

<DIV>

<FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Dear Customer,</FONT><BR>

<FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;</FONT><BR>

<FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Due to recent concerns, for the safety and integrity of your online account we are upgrading our security system for all accounts. </FONT></DIV>

<DIV>

<FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">It has come to our attention that your account details need to be updated to prevent frauds and spoof reports. Our new security system will help you to avoid fraud transactions and to keep your money safe. </FONT></DIV>

<DIV>

<FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">For your protection in securing your account in our new security system, click here to visit our website. </FONT><A href="http://santanderonlineaccountsecurityupgrade.tk/"><FONT size=3 color=#0000FF face="Times New Roman"><U>www.santander.co.uk</U></FONT></A><BR>

<FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;</FONT><BR>

<FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">If you get any strange calls please contact us immediately on 0845 600 4388</FONT><BR>

<FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">--------------------------------------------------------------------------------</FONT><BR>

<FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Security Advisor</FONT><BR>

<FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">Santander Bank Corporation</FONT><BR>

<FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">© </FONT><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">2012 All Rights </FONT></DIV>

</FONT>

</TD>

</TR>

</TABLE>

</DIV>

<DIV>

<FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>

</FONT>

</BODY></HTML>

Loads of info to take in, too much in fact, the bit with Hotmail in it makes me pretty sure that it is a scam, what part of all the above guff should one home in on?
How is it that the E-mail systems allow phishers to so well hide the true message source?
TBH I could see even me being taken in one day, what other precautions can one take? The absence of my name or any identifier is one I guess, had I clicked on the link and the site been a good copy of the real bank one how what else could I look for?

Sorry about the posting being so wide, dont know what happened.

Maybe the mods can change it.

I have recently on the advice of Norman been blocking spam senders.

There are already several hundred blocked but it seems that I am pi55ing in the wind,

there are loads more to take their places.

If I block this sender will I be blocking proper messages from Santander?

yes I got this:

Reported Web Forgery

This web page at santanderonlineaccountsecurityupgrade.tk has been reported as a web forgery and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Web forgeries are designed to trick you into revealing personal or financial information by imitating sources you may trust.Entering any information on this web page may result in identity theft or other fraud.

(This is a Firefox Phishing and Malware Protection feature  to help keep you safe online)

If you hover the mouse pointer over the suspect address (in Firefox & I.E) the real address underlying the link is shown in the bottom left hand corner of the browser.

I would suggest if they don't match - then they're not legit (especially as yours has .co.uk in the address and .tk underlying)

Because I would be making 10 international phone calls every day, having to type in god knows how many different sort codes, account numbers and passcodes listening for 10 minutes to music and adverts before finally being cut off or connected to someone in Mumbai, - thats why!!!

Neither of us need the grief, these scams are sent to millions of people, imagine the chaos if only a small proportion did what you suggest.

As for must posess, even that usually means a visit to the website or a Google search to find a non 0845 number that can be accessed from France

To give an idea of the amplitude of the scam/phishing mails that I recieve for less than a couple of weeks I have been blocking the senders of the ones I recieve, it was Normans suggestion, I currently have a staggering 450 addresses blocked and it has only slightly reduced the daily volume.

And to think that not long ago I boasted that I had never had a spam mail!!!!!! From the very first one recieved they have increased exponentially.

I blame the French who dont seem to understand the risks attached to sending group mails and refusing to use blind carbon copy even when it is explained repeatedly to them, it seems that tradition is trotted out as an excuse even for relatively new practices.

We have an online account with Santander.

I would expect them to use the messaging system if they wanted to contact me - not to just write to my email address.

They do seem to be very security conscious.

The other day I mistyped my password and had to have a second try before logging on to my account.

The next time I tried to log it I was asked for additional personal information before I got access.

I don't understand why people never bother to read information sent from their banks or other companies that you can use online like Ebay, PayPal, Orange, Free and just about anyone else.

IF IT DOES NOT HAVE YOUR NAME ON IT THEN IT IS A SCAM

Sorry to shout but come on people get a grip.

I must get a load of these every day through my many different business accounts. The other favorite at the moment is a 'complaint' being made about you and to read the complaint you need to open the attached file. Well again if it does not have your name on it then its a scam.

[quote user="Chancer"]And to think that not long ago I boasted that I had never had a spam mail!!!!!! From the very first one recieved they have increased exponentially.

[/quote]

A friend who runs a chambre d'hôte - and I do mean that as she lets out just the one room - had a really horrible time with spam mails clogging up her system until she followed my suggestion and acquired a gmail email address. Since then peace reigns in her household.

Give it a go.

Sue

I dont really want to give up my Hotmail after all this time and I have a good, apt and easily understood address, it even works in French, I did actually open a G-mail account with the same name after Paypal got their knickers in such a twist it was the only option open to them.

I havnt used it for a couple of years so will log on now and see if there is any spam in it.

What do they do different to hotmail? I could easily have switched from Gmail to hotmail and the spam would have stopped until a French contact started sending group mails with my address for the world to see.

Well after having to reset my password (if only it had said I hadnt entered 8 characters I would have known) I found that there have been zero messages since 2010 but still reckon that once my address became known there would be spam, is there any definitive proof some tests perhaps?

I have had many scam e-mails from all sorts of banks which generally go into my junk box. However today I recieved an e-mail, from Paypal, addressed to me by name and telling me that my credit card had been removed. It looked VERY realistic and I tried to log in. Fortunately my security software saved me and I then sent the e-mail to Paypal and deleated it.Please be aware.

Mark

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="Chancer"]And to think that not long ago I boasted that I had never had a spam mail!!!!!! From the very first one recieved they have increased exponentially. [/quote]
A friend who runs a chambre d'hôte - and I do mean that as she lets out just the one room - had a really horrible time with spam mails clogging up her system until she followed my suggestion and acquired a gmail email address. Since then peace reigns in her household.

Give it a go.

Sue
[/quote]

We used Hotmail very early on and was shocked to find three genuine enquiries in the junk folder, total value of lost business was just under a thousand Euros. Using Mailwasher attached to all our accounts has been the best investment for us.

But Quillan everything goes in the junk folder unless I already have them as a contact or have previously marked them as safe.

That is why I carefully go through all the mail in the junk folder, that which I know is spam I sweep and it becomes blocked thereafter, still doesnt reduce the volume much though. Sometimes I do find something of importance, I gave out my E-mail address to a few people I encountered today, when they contact me it will initially be via the junk folder by default.

I found your previous comment a little unecessary, I think its the first time I have ever asked on a forum is something junk, or not, it was the only one out of 450 in the previous 10 days or so that I had a doubt about and wanted to learn how better to identify them or not.

I cant say that I have found the Hotmail smartfilter has reduced the junk in my junkmail folder, I think it all still comes through, except those that I now block, havnt had repeated mails from any world leaders for a while!, the stuff still comes through but they may mark it as suspect, I would prefer it to be stopped straight away.

OK maybe they are screening out millions before they get to me but other than the one in question I could easily see the others were spam and I aint a smart filter or even smart! The numbers just seem to increase exponentially and I noticed no reduction with smartfilter.

Interesting that my unused G-mail account has not had one mail in 2 years though.

Many ISP's will block whole domains if they believe the domain name is used only for sending spam so nothing will arive in your 'Junk' folder from the blocked domain. Orange has done this and it caused a problem for Mrs Q as they blocked the domain of one of her clients. The domain name had been 'hijacked' by spammers and it required a call to Orange who unblocked the domain name within 24 hours.

Other than the blocking completely of some domain names the rest of the spam will nearly always go, as far as I know, to the 'Junk' folder automatically.

Of course it is different for private users but it does mean that you need to check your 'Junk' folder periodically. For our business's we have twelve email accounts spread across four domains so to check the 'Junk' folder for each domain would be a right pain in the bottom. Because we host our own websites and email accounts we don't block any domain names but we do have MailWasher running which picks up most things from all the accounts and a quick glance can tell us if anything has been marked for removal prior to uploading in to our email client programs.

Another issue we have is with spammer programs which use our forms within some of our websites. We have had to install a crude version of Captcha to stop these 'Bots' and it works well. Forums are a problem as well. This forum gets a lot of 'bots' trying to post junk but there is software running inside the forum that stops this and advises the Administrator that such an attempt has been made hence we get very little spam on the forum. The spam the forum gets is from individual users typing (or copying) the spam manually.

My comment about names being on emails from banks etc was in general and not aimed at any individual. I get emails from my banks from time to time just to reinforce the fact that they will never send out a "Dear Client" email and that it will always include my name like "Dear Mr Q". This is a general thing with just about everyone I have an account with for whatever reason. In 99.9% of times that you get an email starting with "Dear Client" then it's spam especially if it is from a financial institution of some kind and they will tell you this when you join them.

In the unlikelihood of you getting an email with your name on it and you feel uncomfortable about it then don't use any link in the email but go directly to the website manually i.e. type in the website name or use the one you may have stored in your 'Favorites'. If there is a problem you will get a message when you login. I had such an email once from PayPal when they started distributing their financial operations to individual countries. I was asked in the email to complete some personal details via a link. Rather than use the link in the email I logged in normally and sure enough the email was correct as I was hit with a screen to enter the details they requested in the email. In other words it was a genuine email. You may remember a year or two ago somebody mentioned they got an email from Orange (France), with their name in, that came from something like 'mailforge.orange.fr'. It is an address they use rather than the normal '[email protected]' its just how some bright spark decided to name it but it was and still is a genuine email address.

[quote user="Markradland"]today I recieved an e-mail, from Paypal, addressed to me by name and telling me that my credit card had been removed. It looked VERY realistic and I tried to log in. Fortunately my security software saved me and I then sent the e-mail to Paypal and deleated it.Please be aware.

Mark
[/quote]

I also had an email yesterday saying my credit card had been removed from Paypal because it had expired, but it was, I believe, genuinely from Paypal as the card they were referring to was one attached to an account which I had closed.

[quote user="Pommier"]

[quote user="Markradland"]today I recieved an e-mail, from Paypal, addressed to me by name and telling me that my credit card had been removed. It looked VERY realistic and I tried to log in. Fortunately my security software saved me and I then sent the e-mail to Paypal and deleated it.Please be aware.

Mark
[/quote]

I also had an email yesterday saying my credit card had been removed from Paypal because it had expired, but it was, I believe, genuinely from Paypal as the card they were referring to was one attached to an account which I had closed.

[/quote]

Thats why it's best to login normally rather than through a link in the email. That way you know for sure it's right because a message would come up when you login.