stuff to do near Quimper with 3 teenage boys

Hello

We're soon off on a 2-week holiday near Quimper. We've never been there but the area looks great.

I've got 2 weeks to be "active" with kids, so... does anyone have any tips of places to go things to do?

I fancy deep sea fishing for a day, some kite-surfing, sailing ...that sort of stuff. I can look up on the t'interweb about various places, but I was hoping someone might have first hand experience of the place.

Any beaches best for surfing/body boarding? Businesses that offer fishing trips? That sort of thing...when you're new to an area you can spend an age going this way and that only for someone to say later about an amazing place they know but we had never found.

Much obliged

My friend in Crozon says La Torche is closer to Quimper, one side of the beach is for surfers, the other for kiteing/windsurfers.

He suggests looking at http://www.campingdelatorche.fr/ which is in English and French 

Bonobo parc could be interesting : http://www.quimper-tourisme.com/fr/quimper-et-son-pays/le-coin-des-enfants.html

I can get more info re the Bay of Douarnenez, but in depends where you are going to be located how useful that would be..

If you are in Quimper looking for a restaurant L'Epee is good (set menu's etc) and for a more upmarket meal La Feuillantine is very nice.  (close to the faiencerie, naturally......[;-)])

My son used to do a lot of catamaran sailing in regattas at Cap Coz (and all over the dept here) and that is very sailing and water sports friendly. Just be wary of different areas with strong currents and for fishing, the incoming tides so you do not get stranded on rocks or beaches, it happens very fast. Deep sea fishing is available all over here but choose your boat and skipper as some are very expensive.

From another friend in Quimper :

The Pointe du Raz is the place to go for surfing of all kinds, but I don't know how much equipment is available for rent; http://fr.windfinder.com/nearby/pointe_du_raz?mode=tide

http://www.haliotika.com/ Haliotika arranges all kinds of events and activities around the fishing industry, including going out with a fishing boat. Unfortunately, their web site does not seem to have an English version.

Also, visiting different manufactures has become very much in vogue : http://www.visitesentreprises29.com/

Leave the fish to live their lives and buy some kites.

4 line kites can fly into under and out of receeding water.

2 and four line kites are fun to fight with.

I doubt if you will be able to handle an Indian kite but they can fly kilometres out above the ocean and you can chase boats.

Lol that would be fun to see... apart from the fact you wouldn't know where I was as the line is impossible to see and I could be 5k away. With cross winds it is not at all obvious where the flier is. Most people that see the kite think it is radio controlled.

Should you manage to find me the cotton has a breaking strain of 3lbs and the bamboo is 4mmx3mm and can be easily snapped by hand, the paper sail won't do much damage either. I suppose you could wrap 5k of line around my neck but I doubt I would stick around that long.

Targeting boats is fun leaving a kite flying from the mast - it could become a sport seeing how many you could attach to a boat.

[quote user="crazyfrog"]

[quote user="Frederick"]fly kilometres out above the ocean and you can chase boats. And why would anybody want to do that ?[/quote]

3 teenage boys and their dad !

Dog: I take your point re: Fish, but it's free food, and we only fish for what we can eat.

[/quote]

When you drop a baited hook into the water how do you know what is going to get hooked?

[quote user="Dog"]Lol that would be fun to see... apart from the fact you wouldn't know where I was as the line is impossible to see and I could be 5k away. With cross winds it is not at all obvious where the flier is. Most people that see the kite think it is radio controlled.

Should you manage to find me the cotton has a breaking strain of 3lbs and the bamboo is 4mmx3mm and can be easily snapped by hand, the paper sail won't do much damage either. I suppose you could wrap 5k of line around my neck but I doubt I would stick around that long.

Targeting boats is fun leaving a kite flying from the mast - it could become a sport seeing how many you could attach to a boat.[/quote]

Frederick

We can bring down Dog’s kites no problem; I’ll come out with you with my gun. More fun than shooting at clay pigeons and Dog will soon run out of kites.

[quote user="audio"][quote user="Dog"]Lol that would be fun to see... apart from the fact you wouldn't know where I was as the line is impossible to see and I could be 5k away. With cross winds it is not at all obvious where the flier is. Most people that see the kite think it is radio controlled.

Targeting boats is fun leaving a kite flying from the mast - it could become a sport seeing how many you could attach to a boat.[/quote]

Frederick

We can bring down Dog’s kites no problem; I’ll come out with you with my gun. More fun than shooting at clay pigeons and Dog will soon run out of kites.[/quote]

I have in stock 300 kites at the moment and your shot would fall well short at even 1000 metres. In a reasonable breeze I could be that far away before you have loaded and put the gun to your shoulder.

In the unlikely event your shot hit the kite it wouldn't matter as they fly well with lots of holes in them.