Things that go bump in the night.

Philouis

A friend of mine is worried about the noises emulating from his loft, which occur every night after midnight.

I did remamber I saw some correspondence regarding animals called something like Miew Miews.

Could anyone enlighten me on these creatures and any ways of getting rid of them?

Seems to be a fact of life, certainly in rural France, that there is wildlife everywhere. There are dormice (loirs) that inhabit every available spot in lofts and garages. I've come to the conclusion that we have to live with them. My (French) neighbour has them. He recently went through his loft doing some electric work and saw them up there. I have them in my garage.

Thanks to a long, drawn-out campign of chemical warfare, I managed to rid the loft of loirs. All was quiet for a few months, but they eventully came back. I just live with it now. Although, every now and then one of the cats will turn up with one, dismantle it on a clean spot of floor and leave nothing but blood smears and the long fluffy tail.

Take a look at these posts.  Other members have had noises in their attics!  It's surprising how many...

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/511959/ShowPost.aspx

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1458458/ShowPost.aspx

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1130008/ShowPost.aspx

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1626835/ShowPost.aspx

Y fronts and wellies (that's what we call my neighbour that has a second home over the road from ours, he gardens in his underpants and welllington boots - I think it was just wellingtons until we moved in) he murders all wildlife that does fit in with his narrow minded ideals. He shoots grass snakes, frogs croaking in the pond as they keep him awake and a couple of years ago he must have poisoned the glis-glis in his roof.

They obviously fely unwell and moved into the sanctuary of my roof space where they died. The stink was awful, it was so bad we ripped tiles off the roof to try and find the rotting carcasses. No luck and the stench lasted for weeks.

Buy some ear plugs if the noise annoys you at night - do not poison the critters the smell is far worse than the noise. Plus they are beautiful animals and quiet friendly when drunk on fermenting grapes.

Thank you for the information, it is very helpful.

My friend tells me that the noise they make would seem very much louder than you could imagine these tiny creatures could make! Could the noise be made by rats lor sqirrels or could it be that the Glis Glis are wearing hob-nailed boots? They are so noisy!.

Other than friendly cage traps, would a sonic device make them leave their abode?

Anyone who has had success in this department, I would be very interested to hear further!

I tried an ultrasonic thing and it was a complete waste of time and money.

I wondered if I had just bought a cheapo brand perhaps, but a friend confirmed my theory about them being rubbish when she told me about when she walked into her kitchen and saw one of the beasts standing on top of her ultrasonic device, complete unfazed by it.

If this sound is a current situation it isn't Loir or LĂ©rot, they are nicely tucked up and asleep for the winter.

Without any vocals to help identification it could be a Stone Marten, or it could even be an Owl depending on the space available.

Rats and squirrels are active in the day as well as night.

Chris

we have a rural farmhouse anyway about 5 years ago in the summer, the only week we had guests in 5 years we had loud noise and bangs from the loft and cellar 1 night, it sounded like small bears running around the place it was scary, pipes banging from the loft and cellar for about 2 hours, there was wild cats around that year, theres been nothing like it since

From our experience Loir tend to make high pitched squeaks when chasing each other around the wall spaces. If frightened or aggressive, like in a humane trap, they make a sort of lower pitched gargle noise. As Chris indicates they should all be hibernating now but having said that we have seen the odd one raid our bird table in the winter months. Ultra sound worked for us in reducing numbers but only for a year or two, they just got used to it I assume! We just ferry them to the woods a few ks away and let them go. Please don't use chemicals to kill them, think of the other wild life that feed off them that would be poisoned too, not to mention feral and domestic cats.....................................Jackie