Vicar needed

Have booked our local church in South of Department 17 for my sons wedding blessing next June. I now need a clergyman / woman who would undertake the service without making us jump though hoops. My son doesn't live in France so arranging meetings in advance is not easy.

The wedding is already booked at the Mairie, this is for the blessing in the church which we also have permission to use. The rent-a-rev is UK based so not a lot of use. The church in france have stipulated a whole load of criteria some of which we cannot achieve.

There must be a retired clergyman/ woman who would like to see a couple on the happy road of life.

I will send you a PM tomorrow when I have checked the contact details.  There is a C of E deacon around our way (southern tip of Manche) who has done Wedding Blessings (we went to one of the weddings).  He may be too far away from you but will most likely know of other people.

Till tomorrow

Mrs H

Looking for a C of E /Anglican service. Permission has been obtained for the use of the local church. Difficulty with Chaplaincy of PC is that they want two meetings with the bride and groom in advance. Arranging one is difficult as the bride and groom don't live here and like most young couples have busy lives.

There must be a retired clergyman who would like to do this. Expenses and a good day out guaranteed. Accommodation is available too.

Many thanks. Have sent them an email. I didn't think this bit of the organisation of the wedding was going to be that difficult. The French bit and the use of the local church has been a breeze.

I have received some contact details. If you want them please PM me.

I am informed that it is normal for any service conducted by the C of E, such as baptisms, weddings, etc for the minister to meet with the people involved beforehand, and there are some rules and conditions that apply.

• 3 months later...
Still drawing a blank on this. I am advised that because a blessing is not the legal part of the marriage a Lay Preacher could officiate. So same question is there anyone who can help complete a happy day [June 2nd]

Last time I posted on here I had spoken to a lay preacher friend, a member of the Anglican church in Poitou Charentes, who gave me the contact details, and in fact Sweet's earlier post is the best starting point.

I was told that no-one will officiate without the "blessing" (pun intended) of the official organisation. In fact it was put rather more bluntly than that, along the lines of "we are not just a convenience to enhance the overall appearance of the day; we would expect to meet the couple in order to find out more about them; it's religious occasion, not just a show".  So that put me in my place! Apparently they don't have freelancers who will just turn up on the day, say a few words, wave their arms and depart with your cash. 

But again not without having the chance to meet the couple first, Will. I am a retired Anglican priest, but I still need a licence from my diocesan bishop to officiate in my home diocese, and permission from the relevant bishop to do so elsewhere, and there are guidelines I'm expected to adhere to. If I officiate at a marriage blessing I'm doing so in the name of the church and can't just do as I please. This is why the original poster is having such problems.

If you are not completely set on having a Cof E service, have you considered a humanist officiant?  We arranged a humanist funeral service for my aunt  and quite honestly I don't think many people noticed the difference, and those that did just assumed it was a modern variant.  Most humanist ministers are very flexible as to the content of the ceremony but I am not sure what the rules would be about actually conducting it in the church, or if it would even be appropriate.  Maybe you could have the blessing somewhere nearby, even in a garden.  Anyway, if you think it's worth pursuing just put 'humanist minister france' into Google as it brings up a selection of relevant entries.

Good luck!

Val