Personal Details Issues with Tax Foncieres and Tax D'habitation

steveinlot

Hi, can anyone tell me if you have or are having issues with your personal details on you Tax Foncieres and Tax D'habitation.

For the past few years we have had problems with the above bills having someone elses personal details on my bills. It looks like we have a few people living in France with the same surname as ours and I am getting the above bills with my name but somebody elses wife (normaly we would have a laugh at this ) But it now seems we have two other properties in different parts of France, I have two other wives (which I can't seem to remember getting married to) but now they are using MY fiscal number on one of the other properties which is very worrying. We have been into our local Treasure Public to sort the issue out and they assured us it was. Our local office even wrote to the other peoples tax office to confirm that the details were wrong. But no, the more we try to sort it, the worse things become. I have paid my own taxes but the demands and threats of Bailifs carries on.

Can anyone tell me if you have had the same or similar issues and how you sorted it as me, my wife and harem are at our wits end. I would be very greatful for youe advice. Is there also a French equivelant to the Tax Ombudsman ?.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Steve.

[quote user="steveinlot"]We have been into our local Treasure Public to sort the issue out and they assured us it was. [/quote]

In matters like this you really do need to visit your main tax office - as shown on your avis d'impôt. The local trésorerie may try to help in changing personal details but it is not always successful.

Sue

[quote user="steveinlot"]We will go there but unfortunately we live in the Uk and will have to go in next time we are there. [/quote]

Are you thinking of visiting France soon ? I ask as having reread your original post it would seem Bailiffs are involved so you might need to act quite quickly as they have important powers as regards your French Bank account etc. Care will be needed and some speed on your part to get the problem resolved IMO.

Sue

I would suggest that you get all your paperwork together, birth certificates, you and wife and marriage certificate and any divorce stuff if applicable and go and see them. Take the paper work for your french house and in fact I would be taking proof of living in the UK like a P60 or whatever and say a council tax bill. In fact I would be armed to the gunnels with paperwork as to who I was and where I lived and who with.

The hussier have lots of powers. So I would make an effort to go and see the tax office asap.

This happens in France and can be a nightmare and go far further than it ever should. Do not delay.

Incidentally the tax office started sending our post to someone else's address instead of ours and for all I contact the tax office several times, it is yet another office that deals with such things. I managed to get their phone number and they rectified this problem for me, but helas, I cannot remember what this special office was called, but I know it exists.

We received in the UK a cheque for a French tax refund payable to someone who shared my wife's forename (but completely different surname), and coming from a tax office in a region with which we have no connection. The envelope had evidently been re-addressed several times and bounced around the system. We returned it with a letter of regret.

Steve

we had problems with wrong addresses - but nothing like as severe as yours.  We only resolved this with a personal visit to the impots.

The tresorie were worse than useless.

This is not the news you want to hear but I would buy a plane ticket pronto, because you do not want your French bank accounts frozen.  We had friends where this happened and it took many many months to sort out and meanwhile paying electricity and otehr regular bills was a nightmare.

We had similar problems with taxes and water bills from people with similar names across the region but with different addresses in France, different addresses in the UK, different forenames etc. The attitude of the offices sending the bills is that you have to pay the bill and then later prove you are not the person on the bill and try and get a refund!!! 

Fortunately we were able to visit the appropriate issuing tax offices (3 different ones) and had a French friend ring the water company to insist that they had sent the bill to the wrong address. This happened repeatedly for several years, even to the extent that one person we spoke to said "oh yes, you told us the same thing last year, there's a note on the file", so you really do need to be persistent!  We came to the conclusion that if a bill in France is not paid, the issuing authority look for someone with the same or a similar name and send the bill to them, and keep sending it until SOMEONE pays.

I have tried to find the people I spoke to and only found a note to myself saying that I had called the cadastrale office, but what that was about, I don't know now.

I've already told you what I'd do. And with more thought, I would check to see if I had legal cover on my home insurance. I would also have a copy of my house 'deeds' your full details are on there, for both of you, DOB and where you were born, for both of you, even the marriage regime and show them that too. Even ask the notaire to confirm these details.

I was talking to a friend about this last night and they said, as has been said, they just try it on sometimes, trouble is that this comes down to you now you have 'accepted' these letters.

I can sympathise as the same happened to me so I know what a worry it is. In my case, the secretary at La Mairie helped sort it out. Long story but it involved sending a letter to the Tax d'Habitation people in Nice (yeah - I wish!) with an attestation d'habitation done by our Maire, stating the length of time I had lived in this commune, plus the usual copies of utility bills, proof of identity, income tax statements etc etc. The letter had to be sent Recommande with proof of reception. Even after all this, I never received an apology for their error and the hassle they caused me with banks etc. I still got the impression that they still didn't believe I wasn't the person they were looking for! Then what should happen the following year - you guessed it - another Tax d'habitation bill! This time I got on the phone myself and after a heated discussion with the same guy who had caused all the hassle the previous year - he remembered me and said he would delete me from their records (at last!) My name is so unusual that I guess they believed there was no way there could be two of me in France! A nightmare when you are in actual residence - but if, as in your case, you are abroad, even more so! Good luck with it - as already advised, you do need to sort it out quickly.

We had an English neighbour return to the UK. A year later we got a bill with her name on,  and ours. and our address. She had written to France Teelcom, informing them she's left France, closed and paid off her account the year before. This letter, written to us, because we knew her and were in the same village, demanded payment for her standing charge and threatened us with the bailiffs if not paid. I also received an e-mail from them (where they got the address from?) .

I wrote back, informed them she no longer lived in the village, I had no contact with her and I said that the letter they'd written to us infringed out human rights and if they contacted us again I would sue.

Nothing heard....... but an e-mail - they sent an apology!