If my senile memory serves me right, I think there is a stockist opposite Lidl, on the small industrial estate in La Chataigneraie.

Otherwise there is a Godin chap on the run in to La Roche from Chantonnay, on the left.

The Bricolage in La Chataigneraie on the Hyper U site also used to do installation.

Excellent , thanks .

I am only about ten mins from la chat so when i am over end of the month i will check these out.

I could bring one from uk but its fitting it as my chimney has been closed of for many years i beleive I really would like it put in by proffesionals

If you look at the Pages Jaunes, there is a guy near Les Herbiers who has the Scandinavian models which are regarded as better quality though Supra has improved a lot.

Question of chimney will need professional advice but it will have to be lined to be safe.

If you want an insert, the chimney will need to be wider than standard. Your old chimney is highly unlikely to be suitable and is therefore an option not open to you.

Although the Supra has undergone some changes they don't even come close to the better models around.  The difference is the creosotes that often go unburned in lesser stove like Godin and Invicta's will get burned up giving a boost in heat output for free and not therefore lining the chimney or chimney liner with sticky gloop (fire hazard)

Burning at that level produces a lot less ash and requires less logs.

http://burley.co.uk/category/wood-burning-stoves/

http://www.woodburningstovesdirect.com/product/230/st1-stove.htm

http://www.clearviewwoodburningstoves.com/clearviewstoves/

And the better Scandinavian ones

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Just my two pence worth. The chimney will certainly need to be lined. But, I think a wood burning stove placed in an old chimney space looks horrible and naff.

Given you have to tube it anyway, think about putting the stove somewhere else.[/quote]

You wouldn't like my stove then, as to where to put it? I know a good place.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Your my kinda expat NickP.

Do you have the customary sofa and two chairs immediately in front of your wood burner ?[/quote]

We're not an Expats, just  long term tourists' who seem to spend more time in our holiday home that our native residence. I haven't been deported yet, made to change my number plates or my driving licence. Probably down to the fact that the authorities realise that if I got thrown out for overstaying my welcome; the wine export to the UK would dip alarmingly, plus the locals wouldn't get the best Cheddar, tea or English biscuits delivered to their door. Yep a sofa and two armchairs so the neighbours French of course , can watch Sky TV when Corrie and Enders is on.  [:D]

Keith.p, remember it is now October and I would hazard a guess that all the good fitting companies are very very busy at this time of year and will be giving you dates for next year to come and fit, unless you are very lucky and have a cancellation.

Those that are not so good, will likely be able to come out fairly promptly.......

We had a cowboy fit our first fire in France, came out within two weeks, it was this time of year, all other companies were saying not before Jan or Feb. It needed completely re-fitting after the first year......

........ so just becareful as to who does this job for you, finding a name or company is probably the easiest bit, someone good, is probably a lot harder.

LOL NickP...or are you steptoe ??

I do make a valid point. Should you put a wood burning stove in the space of a chimney ?

I am not an expert on wood burners but the heat needs to radiate from all sides of the stove to warm the room. If you put it in the chimney space it can only radiate from the front.

If you look at 'expat' property websites a lot of 'expats' selling their houses in France have a wood burner in the chimney space. In the photo of the wood burner in the chimney space is always a sofa and two arm chairs within a foot of the stove. This suggests to me that the stove cannot heat the room and the stove is a complete waste of flippin time. Furthermore, a modern stove from Briconanutes looks really crap in a 16th century fireplace.

Am I right ?

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]LOL NickP...or are you steptoe ??

I do make a valid point. Should you put a wood burning stove in the space of a chimney ?

I am not an expert on wood burners but the heat needs to radiate from all sides of the stove to warm the room. If you put it in the chimney space it can only radiate from the front.

If you look at 'expat' property websites a lot of 'expats' selling their houses in France have a wood burner in the chimney space. In the photo of the wood burner in the chimney space is always a sofa and two arm chairs within a foot of the stove. This suggests to me that the stove cannot heat the room and the stove is a complete waste of flippin time. Furthermore, a modern stove from Briconanutes looks really crap in a 16th century fireplace.

Am I right ?[/quote]

A couple of comments.

Steptoe, is that the character from the TV show? I think by now he's dead. Also as he was an old shirt lifter, so you couldn't be further from the truth.

Secondly a stove that radiates from the front will still heat all of the room, or do you think the heat only radiates in straight lines. As I don't have a stove from briconanutes who ever they may be, but one from Norway, after all they know much more about wood stoves than the French do, I can't comment. Still you got one thing correct, your not an expert on wood burners.[:D]

About using the old fire place space.........that space is often knocked about a bit and made into a bigger frame and the stove goes in the new hole. Well, in this part of England at least, and it is called an inglenook.

When we bought this old house, I had the old chimney's bricked up and the stoves brought out into the room on a marble bases in front of the old fire breasts. Liners were dropped down the chimneys and link up with the pipework which comes into the room and into the stove......... I know that it is not to everyone's taste, but I don't care. We get all the heat from the stove in the room and some from the exposed pipework.

I have friends with homes that could be in magazines.... I just like mine warm![:D]