Washing machine engineer

[quote user="powerdesal"]You need a washing machine technician or mechanic, NOT an Engineer.[/quote]

A sentiment I share, the word Engineer is grossly over used. Time was only members of the institute could be called engineer but those times have passed. Of course it doesn't make it any easier to find a competent person.

When I was given my indentures at the end of my apprenticeship along with others in a small ceremony i was asked if I had anything to say, I had my speech prepared which in hindsight ended any prospects that I had with the company.

"4 years ao when I started my apprenticeship at 16 I could not even spell or say Engineer and now I is one!"

Agreed, in fact the only chance someone would have of getting a machine repaired is to find someone honest working in the black economy, new machines are so cheap in France, the cost of spare parts and labour so expensive thanks to said taxes and charges plus greed that I would be very surprised to hear of anyone on this forum that has had a machine repaired in France for an economic price.

Most of the enseignes that offer a repair service are just scams to force you to buy a new and overpriced machine from them, they will tell you yours is irreperable or an uneconomic repair even if its just a blocked filter citing another component failure, then they present you with a big bill for the diagnosis which is reduced or cancelled if you buy a new machine from them. 

Even the one small honest domestic Appliance repairer in the UK that everybody went to including myself (for parts) closed over a decade ago due to the falling price of new appliances and the high street rent and rates exploding, 10 years before then the last TV repairer shut up shop, and this was in a country where business taxes and NIC are very low compared to France, when the cost of new white goods was still sillly money in France it was possible for a sensible priced repairer to make a living, the internet and box shifters like Darty, Amazon, Rue de Commerce, Cdiscount etc have put an end to that.

Cost of repair vs new machine with 2 year guarantee, no contest.

Chancer has named some of the best known on-line people to buy new white goods from.

A year or so ago, I bought a brand new all-singing all-dancing washing machine for under 300 euros, no charge for delivery PLUS they took the old one away for no cost.

New machine is a bigger capacity than the old one, is energy saving (A+ or A++, can't remember) and plays a couple of bars of Shubert's trout when the programme is finished.

You could try to get it out yourself if its just a wonky bearing. We have two shops in our vicinity that sell parts for tractors/cars. Rather than knowing the part number etc, you just take the old bearing, drive belt etc in and they match it up to an equivalent from stock. Ours is called SODIAMA.

(Or find an Artificer if a Mechanic is not available, he said stirring the pot)