well we wanted unspoilt - so if there are no other Brits out in the Jura, we must have made the right choice!!! But honestly, it would be nice to share a cream tea or a nice rosbiff from time to time...

well, it does rain more often than I would like! BUT I just love the glorious autums there - almost as good as New England, and of course a mushroom hunter's paradise. It's fantastic for xcountry skiing in winter - it is so luminous and crisp up there. Summers are generally very warm by day, but always comfortable at night - so we sleep really well there. It has definite seasons, which I like. A friend of mine recently moved back from Spain - after a few years he just couldn;t stand the constant sunshine... Did you cycle in the French or Swiss Jura, or both?

Hi, yes we are in the Jura, small village between Lac Chalain and Baume le Messieurs, although not moved over entirely yet, bought our house in 2004. I have been visiting the Jura for 40 years, came on an exchange visit in 1968 as Champagnole is twinned with the town where I was born (Dukinfield) We can now stay in our house, it has taken us 4 years to get to this stage, it has had a new roof and complete renovation, we now have a kitchen, bedroom and bathroom.Still working in the UK, get over there about every 8 weeks,and will be driving over for a 3 week stay from 11th July.  I am really looking forward to an apero with the neighbours and relaxing after a days decorating ( we have spent most of our time decorating and DIYing so far,with a lot more to do!)Can't wait.

we have bought a very old farm/vicarage just over the border - 250m from the customs' house near Pontarlier was born in Fleurier down the road, and have lived in the UK, married to a Brit, since 1970! Never, ever thought we would be going tolive there - but always loved the house and it came up for sale last year-

we still haven't sold our house here - but hope to get there soon. We are going over for most of July - keep in touch and come and have 'une bleue' with us one day! (absinthe) best apero on a hot summer's day.

We were cycling from Paris, so I remember Besancon, then Pontarlier, and down into Geneva.  Seeing signs to Switzerland was amazing (I was 17 at the time).  We did a tour round most of central and southern France, finally ending up back in Paris after 6 weeks or so.  The Jura always stayed in my mind as one of the most scenic areas, probably along with the area around Le Puy.  Compared to other areas though, there does not seem to be much (affordable) property for sale.I guess if we ever move out to France, we are looking for somewhere that is colder than the UK in the winter  (it is nice to have proper seasons), warmer in the summer, and most importantly with a bit more sunlight throughout the year.

I'm surprised you think prices are high in the Jura. We have been looking for some time and in our experience prices are really very reasonable providing you keep away from the area surrounding Geneva. Perhaps prices are even more favourable on the Swiss side - Winters are wonderful up there- whereas much of the lower lands near Lake Geneva, Lake Neuchatel, etc, are in fog for much of the winter, the Jura is very crisp and bright. The light is just amazing. The only 'down' time is the end of winter when Spring can come a bit late. But we can be in Provence or the Swiss Italian lakes in a few hours - so no problem. Near us we have lots of small lakes which abound with birds and wildlife, and the wild flowers are wonderful. It's fantastic red kite country too.  And with the TGV from Pontarlier we can be in Paris in no time.  Hope you get to visit again-

• 1 month later...
Hi WB's bro - after 1 week boiling in Provence, and not sleeping a wink - I got to the Jura, closed the shutters, windows opened - and slept like a baby in the  gentle warmth - no light pollution, just the sound of cow bells. total bliss - and not a  Brit, american, Japanese, blablabla tourist in sight. Quite happy to keep our lovely Jura to 'ourselves' - rain and all!                    Salutations   Odile

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
cable TV being replaced by fiberoptics currently - so should soon be on broadband in Swiss Jura - hopefully just in time for our move mid Jan. That is if the sale of our house in UK does go through. The UK system of selling houses is sooooooo frustrating/unfair/stupid +++ as you never know if the sale will go ahead until the last minute. Bon....ers!

• 3 months later...