Lyon - Turin

http://www.thelocal.fr/2427/20120131/

Do any of you know much about the effectiveness of  Italian protests? Will they be ignored straightaway or will there be a 10 year public enquiry? About 5 mins before it goes underground, the line will pass within 1km of my place, so just wondered when I can expect work to start.

The new line will take account of human and environmental impact studies on the Italian side of the border

Like they usually do! No wonder there were protests.

Sorry I don't know when they'll be doing this, no one has mentioned it, and it will be pretty close to where I used to live too.  Next time I'm talking to someone from my old village, I'll  mention it.

I've been trying to watch the developments for the 10 years that I've had the place, they've been digging exploratory tunnels in the valley for quite some time. The actually route is on the other side of the valley from me so it wont affect me too much (but I hope it will affect me enough to be given double galzing :-) )

• 2 years later...
http://www.lyon-turin.info/carte-interactive

I am sitting here more than surprised looking at the route of this thing. It looks like it is going to go very close to a friend's son's new home, I was going to call her anyway, but I shall try and ask about it.

Since the beginning of this, I am still wondering how the hell they are going to get this through the north end of the Chartreuse, the Chartreuse are made up of fragile rock formations and this range is monitored....... Mont Granier fell down 700+ years ago, so not as if they do not know that these mountains are very unstable.

I had no idea that they were putting it in a tunnel in what appears to be the length of the Maurienne and as you say JM going very close to La Chambre.

I thought it was supposed to be a TGV line and I had been hoping that I would get some free double glazing out of it :-) but as it is just a normal line (all be it less steep and more direct) I guess that wont happen. It is on the other side of the valley so I guess I will not be affected too much.