Swimming Pool

Not sure where to post this as I am new to the Forum - have looked at a few discussions but no luck. Does anyone have any experience in putting in a swimming pool, we are still at the choosing a type stage, but once we've decided,I need to find a good supplier in the bordeaux region? Does anyone know if I agree a pool with the supplier, ask him to put in and get it up and running, how long does this take..., do I have to wait months/weeks from placing my order, does it take weeks/months to have it installed, I am trying to put together a schedule and you know this is France and am full used to french customer service (or laissez faire. Any help will be much appreciated.

Some general thoughts on pools:- An in-ground pool will attract extra local taxes; I think you can get round this by having an above-ground pool but sinking it into the garden so as to leave about 1 foot exposed; You'll need to check upon this, but it's what we were told when house-hunting.

It doesn't seem worthwhile trying to cut corners on costs, with the filtration system. Ours, which was already installed when we bought the house, has a separate plastic "block" in the pool containing strainers and filter bags. These are cumbersome to clean and change. If you want the trade name of this type leave a message in my Inbox. It seems that a separate sand filter would probably have been a better option.

Giles

Our neighbour (French) digs out/installs pools and, as seems to be the case with GOOD artisans, has enough work until the second coming - particularly after last year's long hot summer. The exception of course being his own pool which started in Oct 2002 and was first used at Easter 2003 (and work stopped during the winter) !!

But don't despair, you can always buy the above ground large paddling pool types from the touring lorries or bricos or supoermarkets in the short term.

John not Di

http://www.iceni-it.co.uk

Just a quick thought when talking about planning permisions, be carefull if you are in an area of preservation as if like us you will need full planning also we have to have a black lined pool ( a bit scarey, looks like a bottoms less pond!) with the surround only to be in wood!!