Info on Gers (32)

We are in the early stages of planning a possible move to France and are particularly keen on Gers. We would appreciate hearing from anyone who lives in the area and has any helpful advice or comments, favourable or otherwise on any aspects of moving to and living in Gers (or the surrounding area).

Of primary importance to us is schooling for our children (aged 2 and 5) and employment, as we will need to make a living. My husband is a carpenter by trade, currently self-employed in the UK, is there much demand in the area?

A big thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and for any helpful advice given.

We have been living in Gers for just over a year now but have been visting for 20+ years regularly (at least twice a year) - "the boss" comes from around here.

I would agree with everything that PatF has said: the Gers is a quiet rural area and there is definitely a lack of good local artisans - and there are certainly a lot of rules and regulations.

If you are looking for info on the area, the best web sites are: www.gascogne.fr and www.gers-online.com (however, they are only available in French at the moment).

There is also a good local (free) business support agency (www.bgarte.com) based in Auch who have been a great help to us (and other Brits) - again, their web site is in French.

Bonne chance.

We are moving to the Gers soon (hopefully!) after 3 property hunting trips. Everytime we go back it feels more like home and we see more that we like (if that makes sense). I am also looking for information on schools (primary and senior) does anyone have any experience of the schools in Condom and Lectoure? Good luck with your property search!

Thanks for your helpful comments. Wish we could just pack our bags and leave Sunny Essex behind. If only it were that simple!

Which brings me to the boring practicalities of the matter. We want to buy outright and then have a few quid (or euros)left in the bank to tide us over the renovation and sorting out work bits which will take a good while, otherwise too risky, it's a big step as it is. It seems as though the sort of properties we could afford (for renovation with a garden in a nice village)are becoming like gold dust! We will just have to keep looking...

Thanks again to all

Issie
(The Essex Girl, yes, I've heard all the jokes before)

I HAVE LIVED IN THE GERS FOR SIX YEARS AND HAVE TWO CHILDREN IN SCHOOL. MY WIFE DIED OF CANCER SOME THREE YEARS AGO, AND THE HELP I RECIEVED WAS FANTASTIC. I LOVE THE GERS AND ITS PEOPLE.
ONE MORE POINT, REGESTERING AS AN ARTISAN IS NOT AS BAD AS A LOT OF PEOPLE ON THIS SITE WOULD HAVE YOU THINK.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE THAN PLEASE EMAIL ME.
ALL THE BEST

Hi,

We are moving out to a little village near Masseube in June/July. We found a local chap who helped us find a house to suit us and budget!! We have also visited the schools in Masseube for both our children 5 and 7 years of age. The youngest will go to the Maternelle which was lovely and very welcoming and our eldest (a very sensitive boy) was also very welcomed into the primaire which is about 50 yards up the road from the maternelle!

Every time we have visited we have been extremely welcomed into the area and everyone seems very friendly and willing to help.

Send me an email if you would like to know more.

Good luck , Claire

• 1 month later...
Hi Issy,
The Gers is beautiful. We have lived there and it was with a big regret that we moved. The people are so friendly, most of them, the life is very slow and everyone loves their fetes. Lots of the time the shops are closed because of them. Are you looking by chance for somewhere to stay? Just asked because we are looking for a house-sitter there for some months.

Hi Issie,
We have just bought a house in Gers near Mirande, my husband is out there allready starting renovating our house,he is a carpenter to. I am still in England untill our house is sold but hope to be there in about 6 weeks. Gers is beautifull and it feels like home to me everyone we have met is very friendly and I would say go for it, we wish we had done it when our children were younger. I will send my phone number to your in box if you want to give me a ring and have a chat, I may only be in my house for another week.
Look forward to talking to you.
Zoe