Gammon

Well Dog,

Thank you for sharing these fascinating "morsels" with us.

Now have you heard the one about the farmer who was emptying fosses and spreading the results over his and other commercial organic farms. He produced wonderful vegetables but concern was shown after it was found that the local unmentionable diseases hospital was on his round.

Hi,

We have bought gammon in our local L'Clerc and ATAC supermarkets in 81 Mazamet. Found with all otehr pork joints etc., cannot remember name of supplier but I remember the packaging had bay leaves printed on it

Only seem to stock over winter months and we ate so much cabbage with it that we were and from all exits!!

Personally, I don't eat pig for a number of reasons. But for me knowing how most of the farmed pigs are kept and what they are fed is more than enough to put me off, thank you!

On another lovely note, Boiling Frog you have brought up something very interesting. I have been wanting to ask this for the last couple of weeks since our return to the UK. We have just recently bought our house in the Dordogne and need to have our fosse septique emptied. I have been told by THREE seperate people that have come to the house for some reason or other, plumber etc.. that if I ask a local farmer nicely they would be more than happy to empty it because they use the contents (HUMAN WASTE) on their crops. Please tell  me this is not a common practice!

[quote]Personally, I don't eat pig for a number of reasons. But for me knowing how most of the farmed pigs are kept and what they are fed is more than enough to put me off, thank you! On another lovely not...[/quote]

UK is one of the only countries in Europe that systematically dumbs human waste onto the land. It's well known what can happen.

Hi WJT,

Don't get too upset about my previous post. I made the story up some years ago when I got "fed up" with born again vegetarians who felt compelled to take the moral high ground and comment on what all the nasty carnivores were eating.

Every time I went to a diner or some function or other someone who had in the past seemed quite mannerly would turn up with a partner who knew the name, mother and orphans of whatever I and everyone else at the table was about to eat.

I began by thinking thats a very oppressed looking tomato you have there and graduated to tall tales.

On the other hand some unscrupulous people do dump fosse waste on farm land but I am told that for our commune anyway (we are in Dept 16) the Maire will expect homeowners to have a certificate from an authorised disposer of such material. Don't know about how often and who patrols this at the moment.

BaF's wife

Boiling A Frog said "On the other hand some unscrupulous people do dump fosse waste on farm land but I am told that for our commune anyway (we are in Dept 16) the Maire will expect homeowners to have a certificate from an authorised disposer of such material. Don't know about how often and who patrols this at the moment."

All the farmers in our area (50, southern Manche) spread the crap on the land, the roads, pavements, cows and in one case I saw, car parks.

Factoid - the reason so many men died of tetanus and 'gas gangrene' in WW1 was that the farmland had been manured with effluent for centuries, and the soil was particularly rich in bacteria.

I find this absolutely disgusting. I have posted this subject under the Post Bag also. I did see a mention about this sort of thing in Fosse Septique under Owning French Property. Regarding a little old lady having used the local farmer to empty her fosse. Sounds as if it may be quite common. I know the three people that mentioned it to me thought nothing of it!

As a matter of common courtesy I would never try to persuade my vegetarian friends to eat any other way.  Why do some vegetarians feel that they have the moral high ground and try to persuade those who are not vegetarian that they are wrong?  I suppose it is a bit like racism - it is fine to have a black Police Federation but not a white one.  Both are racist.  Religion also seems to open the door to strife and argument.  Live and let live is my motto. Learn from the diversity of human nature and try to be a good person. 

[quote]As a matter of common courtesy I would never try to persuade my vegetarian friends to eat any other way. Why do some vegetarians feel that they have the moral high ground and try to persuade those wh...[/quote]

We are so similar mine is: Live and let live. (Live and let animals, birds, fish etc live.) and Learn from the diversity of nature and be a good compassionate person.

• 2 weeks later...
My oh my!

I went on holiday the day after I posted this question, and am delighted that my topic has generated such interest!

and healthy discussion, if I need a guilt trip, I'll go to Lunn Polly thanks!

Thanks to all for your replies, I have now managed to find my Gammon at Intermarche in Requesta. Yum Yum!!