X-mas Markets Dordogne?

We are spending our first Christmas at our house in the Dordogne (can't wait)and would love to know if there are any Christmas markets in the area. We have friends that live in the Loire that say there are wonderful ones in their area. We are located in the Perigord Noir but are really looking forward to exploring. Does anyone know if there are any Christmas markets throughout the Dordogne?

Hi Frenchy,

I do not live in your department, but further south in 31 so I cannot give precise information, however I work in the tourist industry and get asked this question a lot! Most larger towns have special Christmas markets and if you contact your local tourist office they can send you a list of markets and dates. Toulouse has a very big one lasting most of December but that is probably too far for you, but I am sure Bordeaux will follow suit with something similar. Hope this helps a bit! Paul

Thank you both for the information. Bordeaux is a couple of hours away or more

but will try to get out there for the market must be beautiful this time of year.

Great tip about The News will definitely pick it up once we are there. 

Thanks again.

P.S. Don't know what is happening with my text and the font seems to have a

mind of its own

Thank you both for the information. Bordeaux is a couple of hours away or more but will try to get out there for the market must be beautiful this time of year. Great tip about The News will definitely pick it up once we are there.  Thanks again.

[quote]We are spending our first Christmas at our house in the Dordogne (can't wait)and would love to know if there are any Christmas markets in the area. We have friends that live in the Loire that say ther...[/quote]

hi this is sarah

there is a lovely market in eymet on the 19th in the evening and there is meant to be a lovely one in bordeaux that is  on the 11th but it might be going on for longer there but im not sure anyway i hope that helped!!

[quote]We are spending our first Christmas at our house in the Dordogne (can't wait)and would love to know if there are any Christmas markets in the area. We have friends that live in the Loire that say ther...[/quote]

hi this is sarah

there is a lovely market in eymet on the 19th in the evening and there is meant to be a lovely one in bordeaux that is  on the 11th but it might be going on for longer there but im not sure anyway i hope that helped!!

We are just over the border in the Lot and every small town seems to have its Christmas market, Saint Céré has a two day one next weekend and the normal Markets all get a Christmas feel. If it is anywhere like here there will be posters everywhere advertiisng the markets.

On another note, we go to quite a few markets and it is often the same stalls on each market with some additional ones selling toys at this time of the year. Not all are like this and in a local St Catherine's market there were cattle - not sure if they were being shown or sold, they do not normally sell beasts on the Saturday market. This week our marktet which normally sells beasts did not - and there were far far more food stalls.

I do hope you enjoy Chrismas in France, just do not expect an equivalent of a British Christmas, it is a very quiet family affair, New Year is even quieter in our area.

Iceni, I have heard that it is quiet over the holidays. We don't mind a quiet New Years but a bit of a kid at heart for the lead up to Christmas so maybe a little disappointed on that score. But in any case really looking forward to spending some time in front of a roaring fire and exploring the area a little.

Sarah, thanks for the information on Eymet we are only about a 45 minute drive north so we will definitely check it out on the 11th.

• 2 weeks later...