Central heating installation

After ditching our plan to install electric raditors we've decided to bite the bullet and install central heating - probably oil fired.

Haven't investigated at all yet, but am looking for a very rough costing - from scratch, all equipment, including tank and installation - for a six room stone cottage needing about eight radiators. Most of the internal walls are 70 cms thick. We're near Agen, Lot et Garonne.

What do you reckon I might be looking at - 3000, 5000, 10000 Euros? More?

Thoughts welcome.

James

• 1 month later...

Ours cost nearer to 10000e - big Ferroli boiler, 2500 ltr tank, 10 rads and all pipework put in by French plumber. Mind you, difficult to give exact cost as, with plumbing for two bathrooms, he charged 13000 total.

Friends have bought bricodepot boiler and tank and with DIY cost less than 5000e.

well we really shopped around for the parts and the rads seemed particularly cheap but everything else cost a bomb. all those little copper fittings really add up because you need so many of them.

in our own house the total bill ws €7000 and in our gite €6000 but the saving was mostly because we had a cheaper controller/thermostat in the gite.

the boiler alone was €3000 - could have got cheaper but were advised all round not to.

the real shock was even when we got it done after a month of angst and all this expense we then had to find €800 for 1500 litres of fioul!! (just about to run out)

Maria

Am not able to give prices but you have made a sensible decision, it can be b**** cold around here, the prices others have quoted seem to be within reason, Do get a big enough tank as ours is too small and then you can shop around in the summer for a good price on oil.

Don

Hi

Just as a rough costing , we are having central heating installed at the monent by a French Plumber. For 12 Rads and a huge boiler with a big tank (you can tell  I am a girl and I dont have a clue about sizes ) It has cost 9800 Euro. Which we didnt think was too bad. We are lucky though we will be on town gas. A lot of piping is needed as well , we have a house with 3 bedrooms and an appartment upstairs as well , so quite large by uk standards.

And Don is quite right it does get b##### cold , was over at Christmas and nearly froze to death, electric rads were no good .

Amanda

Manda

I would do as suggested and move this post to renovations where the experts lie in wait

However, in the meantime I agree that a new installation in your property with an oil fired boiler will be nearer €10k.  With boilers you can now get an integral hot water tank as well if you don't already have a ballon hot water tank.  The prices of boilers can vary also dependong on what you want, they are also not small as a rule, ours is as big as an upright freezer and without the tank would still be fridge sized.  The basic without sensors and autoswitching for freezing etc was about €5200. with electronic controls and full auto operation, ambient temperature maintenance etc it was €5800.  The amount of fuel we have saved so far compared with our old gaz guzzler, has gone a long way to offsetting the cost and with this current cold snap has kept us a snug as a bug in a rug

Hi- we've just had a French plumber put an Ideal standard 25KW boiler in together with 3 x700litre fuel tanks and 7 radiators plus 2  heated towel rails for the bathrooms and this cost 12166.58€:

We were reasonably happy with the price and very happy with the work!!

Hello,

Is it possible to put an oil fired boiler and tank in the cellar? The access to our property is restricted at the back so we can't put gas tanks or oil tanks there. I noticed that the last writer had put in 3 X 700 litre fuel tanks. Was this because they were indoors? What sort of dimensions are they - I would envisage about less than a metre wide.

thanks