Oil prices for central heating boilers

Phil

Maybe you would consider changing the system in your new house to a cheaper and more efficient fuel.

Oil is the dearest and getting dearer every year. You might find yourself in a few years wishing that you had invested in a more sustainable system when you first moved in.

More information if you need it.

Andrew

Hi Philip

We just filled our oil tank yesterday and the price was .395euros per litre, we are in the commune of Cherves (dept 86). It was interesting to see that the last time we filled our tank up it was .416euros per litre so we obviously have an honest supplier who really reflects the true price of oil as it has gone down this time.

Welcome to the forum, you will be amazed at the amount of help you can get here!

Regards

Hazel  

I paid €0,50 at the end of January, her in the Lot. This too was cheaper than the last lot. The price varies according to the time of year, so fill up in the Summer not late Autumn when everyone else wants it. It is also cheaper if you take over 1000 litres in one go, so the bigger your tank, the better price you can get.

Lottie

[quote]Phil Maybe you would consider changing the system in your new house to a cheaper and more efficient fuel. Oil is the dearest and getting dearer every year. You might find yourself in a few years ...[/quote]

Sorry Andrew but it the Lot you are wrong.

Wood cheapest - so much so that our commune have been chosen to prove just how much cheaper - between 20% and 40%. Woodyards abound. Next is Oil, then comes Gas (not town gas as there is none in our commune) and Electricity - not sure of the order of those but gas is very expensive in this area (v rural).

Someone posted the figure for the whole of France for cost of energy and they were similar to our local costs.

If you have a local supply of fuel, it will always be cheaper to use this - but as with wood it involves some effort. If you have to build a special store for fuel or buy/rent one - you need to take this into consideration. Our barn comes with a nice huge sous-sol so the oil tanks will go in there - yes we have chosen oil but only for background heating, wood will be our main heating fuel. We have also designed a small apartment (40 sq mtrs) where we can live in the coldest part of the winter - so we will only have to heat 10% of the area to an acceptable level in really cold weather - perhaps this is the best environmental action that people can take not only to save vast sums of money but to protect the environment. The French seem to think that this is normal which surprised us, we thought that we were being clever .

Sorry I have not answered the question, should know the going rate for oil by this time next year though

We just filled our oil tank yesterday and the price was .395euros per litre, we are in the commune of Cherves (dept 86).

This seems most unreasonably cheap. Are you sure that you aren't leaving out the TVA or something? The margin on fuel oil is quite tight, as with most bulk fuels. As far as I know no one around here sells oil for much less than about 50cts and it costs more for small quantities. My tank can take 3000 litres (one year's worth) so the saving on a tank-full for me alone would be 300€: nearly worth getting it delivered by your man! One of France's biggest oil refinery areas (Fos) is under an hour's drive away from here, so delivery distance presumably isn't a reason for our prices to be so much higher than yours.

[quote]How come wood is so cheap over there and how much is it. It never was around here, for all we have forests all around us.[/quote]

Small loads of wood are 36€ a stere with delivery but we can also get a cubic metre roll of wood, 2 metres long for about 10€ - we have to cut it up but it is good quality wood (oak). This is all offcuts, some thin for kindling and some very large bark edges sliced from large trunks. You can choose which roll you want and they are so huge that it takes us two loads with the trailer to get one home - they open the roll for us as it is too heavy for our van/trailer. We are only 2 km from the woodyard, so it is no problem to go and get the rolls when we need them. We have only had one of these rolls this year and still have a good part of it left. We will be stocking up with them next year as they are such fantastic value.

We have had 9 stere of delivered logs this winter of good oak and chestnut (they apologised for the chestnut but had run out of oak). We will get the rolls as and when we need them and our carpenter gets them on a regular basis for his fire. We have about 3 stere of oak/chestnut left and started the year with no wood at all as we had to clear out all the wood we had last year to sort out the basement. We only have wood heating at the moment and it is currently zero outside and just under 22 in here.

Proximity to a woodyard helps with the price as there is almost no delivery charge and the owners son (a carpenter and roofer) just delivers in his work truck. We must now be 'trusted' clients as we are still waiting for our last invoice and the wood was delivered 2 weeks ago, they even forgot to charge us for 33 fence posts about 2 or 3 months ago and we had to remind them but still no invoice. We have also used the company for our roof and our chimney so we all know each other now

Wow that is cheap. We used to pay £35 a stere 10 years ago and we used to use 3 steres a month in the winter months. We made big savings when we moved over to gas central heating. Heating with wood was not cheap for us at all. I think that the cheapest we ever bought it for was a bulk order of 2 metre lengths and we bought enough for 2 years and that was still more expensive than you pay.

[quote]We just filled our oil tank yesterday and the price was .395euros per litre, we are in the commune of Cherves (dept 86). This seems most unreasonably cheap. Are you sure that you aren't leaving out...[/quote]

Dear Mazan

I knew once I got my confidence up enough to enter into discussions on this forum rather than just reading them, that I'd make a blunder and someone would notice it!!

You're right I did not include the TVA - didn't realise that everyone else was including it in their calculations. However, its still not bad news as the price on our latest delivery was .472euros per litre including the TVA so I think it looks like we did get a good deal from our local man.

Hope I've redeemed myself!

Hazel

You're right I did not include the TVA - 

Phew! I was worried for a while.

However, its still not bad news as the price on our latest delivery was .472euros per litre including the TVA so I think it looks like we did get a good deal from our local man.

I seem to remember that our local Auchan had a similar price marked up when I looked in there last week. For those who don't know: most hyper/super market chains in France do fuel oil delivery. The prices are usually very competitive and they offer delivery within a couple of days. They also tend to offer extra low season discounts on top of the regular one for quantity. I also like the way that Auchan, at least, put all the prices up on a board inside the shop for all to see. The local man here has his down on a sheet of card hidden under the desk and on occasions the price on delivery hasn't quite matched the price quoted. It also makes me wonder whether he quotes the same price to all on the same day. Auchan state the price when you order and they stick to it. They are also very punctual, at least round here.

[quote]Small loads of wood are 36€ a stere with delivery but we can also get a cubic metre roll of wood, 2 metres long for about 10€ - we have to cut it up but it is good quality wood (oak). This is all offc...[/quote]

We've just paid €46 per stere and our (elderly French) neighbour said that price was what he pays and was about right.  That included delivery and was for 1m length oak.

€36 seems extraordinarily cheap to me but then we live 16km from a massive paper mill so there is a huge demand for wood both for chauffage and the mill.  That, I hope, is the reason it's more expensive - demand and supply and all that.

[quote]We've just paid €46 per stere and our (elderly French) neighbour said that price was what he pays and was about right. That included delivery and was for 1m length oak. €36 seems extraordinarily che...[/quote]

Our €36 a stere is for cut wood to fit the log burner 50 cm - we know how lucky we are to get it that cheap. I got the roll price wrong. Just had the bill in, the roll was €18, seems this is because it was all oak. Again it was at least a stere but we had to pick it up and cut it up.

And here we were thinking we paid over the odds for wood from a local source

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]Our €36 a stere is for cut wood to fit the log burner 50 cm - we know how lucky we are to get it that cheap. I got the roll price wrong. Just had the bill in, the roll was €18, seems this is because i...[/quote]

Well I've done the lot now!

Filled the oil tank at €0.58 per litre TTC (OUCH!!!) and got some wood delivered from a new source: the woodyard at the edge of the village. It's only rough wood (long bark trimmings all bundled in rolls) and I thought it would be worth a try, having read the previous postings about them.

The yard owner said €400 for a lorry load delivered, so we asked how many bundles he would put on the lorry, he said "as many as I can fit".

That sounded rather vague, but then I though, what the heck, if that's not as many as we think, it'll be just this one time...

He rolled up the snowy hill 45mn later with 25 bundles of oak!!!

My usual wood supplier is a local retired farmer who needs pocket money, so he's been selling lots of 4 steres for 700F/€107 for 2 years now! Every time I ask him about his current rate, he chuckles and says "same as last time!"

Now, there's a man I like dealing with!