Hunting for worktops

We are having our kitchen done and I fancy a stone worktop. First I fancied limestone but have heard that it stains very easily.  I don't fancy polished granite - too bright and shiny for me.  I fancy either dark grey (yes I know I'm probably looking at slate) or something very pale.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

I shall also be hunting for a row of kitchen units (which I could get from IKEA in Toulouse, but again, any other suggestions?)

We are in between Albi and Toulouse.  I heard rumours of a place near Carcassonne too.  Thank you in anticipation!

There are a number of kitcheny type places on the Puygouzon estate just outside Albi - including Lepeyre and Hygena.  Don't know what they are like.  We got plain wood units, which you can stain/paint/do whatever with from Bricorama also at Puygouzon.  Worth asking a local macon about stone worktops.

Maggi

Thank you for the info so far. Bob, you bring me to another question.  Units have been built in the house - some in the kitchen, a couple in bathrooms - out of concrete but I am wondering how I can finish them. I dont fancy them all tiled.

I've heard of waxing concrete and maybe polishing, but what are the techniques exactly, and how do you obtain different finishes?

"I've heard of waxing concrete and maybe polishing, but what are the techniques exactly, and how do you obtain different finishes?"

Probably too complicated to go into on the Forum.

Have a look at this link - http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070599.asp

If you are interested in alternative worktops then it is worth investing in the book. As with all titles from Taunton Press, high quality and good value.

It you decide to try this approach then it is worthwhile to make up some small test worktop frames to experiment with.

Concrete worktops are probably a minority interest on the Forum. If you are interested in experimenting with them, then please e-mail me at the address in my profile.

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

I'm going to reply on the forum first because concrete is used a lot for worktops and units in France, especially in the south.  There are moulded concrete shelves and fancy bits in our kitchen that always crop up in the various home magazines.  The bath has a concrete surround and so do the sinks.

I think in a lot if not all cases, they are tiled over or painted and I have been wondering about the different finishes.  I guess you can just paint (and I've seen fabulous dark grey used in a bathroom) but I'm not sure what paint one would use and what if any, wax or varnish?

I'm very happy to email you as you've obviously looked into this yourself, but I wonder if you have useful information that could benefit others? 

[quote]If you fancy a stone worktop, the cheapest place to acquire one is at a 'Memorial Masons' the people who do headstones. Honest. Great selection of finish, colour, etc.[/quote]

EXACLTY what I was going to suggest!  I keep telling MOH I'll do that and get the underside pre-engraved (with his details) for later use (ommitting the latter date of course - wouldn't want to give anything away after all)

"I think in a lot if not all cases, they are tiled over or painted and I have been wondering about the different finishes.  I guess you can just paint (and I've seen fabulous dark grey used in a bathroom) but I'm not sure what paint one would use and what if any, wax or varnish?"

We seem to be talking about different things.

Poured in place concrete worktops are floated and then polished to achieve the degree of matt/satin finish that you require. They are not intended to be tiled over or painted. The colour is obtained by the concrete mix that you use and any added elements such as quartz or mica.

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

These poured in place concrete jobs do sound interesting.  I had a look at the book you mentioned Bob; does this book go into these particular types of worktops?  Also it is quite straightforward to get these done in France?

Does anyone else have experience of concrete inside the home?