Mini tornado?

Hi,

Anyone else have one of these this evening?

I felt like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz as trees were uprooted and garden furniture flew into the sky! It only lasted about an hour but was spectacular! The rainbows afterwards were quite awesome too.

We are still without electricity several hours later and am writing this with the last vestiges of battery power on my laptop!

We are in the NE corner of the Dordogne - just wondered how far this freak weather travelled in the SW today?

Penny

We're in the SE corner of 24, high on a hill overlooking the Dordogne Valley.

We watched the storms last evening over St Cyprien and over towards Les Ezyies, watched the storm clouds rolling down from the west which usually means rain, lots of breeze in the trees and .........

not a drop, not a single drop of rain though our friends 8k away to the north had torrential downpours.

If anybody has any spare rain would they do one of Icini's little rain dances and point it this way please.

"I felt like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz..."

I was thinking exactly the same thing when we were being rained upon (at long last).

During the day it was like being in a tumble dryer windy and 37 degrees but they had forecast the storms well (on Meteo Consult "Danger, degredation rapide, tres violents vents sous orage etc etc) and we had battened down the hatches so to speak and prepared for the 'hurricane' so were able to watch and enjoy unlike previous years when we were running about like headless chickens trying to save our garden furniture and pool cover and plant troughs.

They are forecasting violent storms for later today as well so be prepared!

All those poor campers in their tents - wouldn't like to be in one of those during one of these violent storms.

Hi,

Yes it was rather windy wasn't it!!!!  We had torrential rain - but friends of ours 2 mins down the road only had a little drizzle!  Very bizarre!  Our electricity was off until about midnight.

Lucky?? my daughter was a bit scared of the thunder and lightening, so I had to stay indoors and look after her while my husband did the "running round the garden like a headless chicken" thing!!

Liz (between Brantome and Thiviers)

Here in SW Gers we had a short but violent storm yesterday evening. Strong southerly winds plus thunder and lightning and heavy rain - such a relief after the heat during the day. As someone said the forecasts got it right. I've been using a different one lately http://www.Lafranceagricole.fr which give weather for each dept. and is quite accurate. Pat.

[quote]Hi, Anyone else have one of these this evening? I felt like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz as trees were uprooted and garden furniture flew into the sky! It only lasted about an hour but was spectacul...[/quote]

It must have drifted over here to 17 later. Violent thunderstorm overnight and got up to find the wind had taken out the side of the greenhouse - glass all over the garden and plant pots all down the road. Spent yesterday repairing greenhouse instead of tiling round pool.

The website I mentioned was completely wrong for this evening. Said nice and sunny and we've had storms for the last two hours, lots of lovely rain. The first bit I was out with the dogs and we were pelted with hailstones the size of small golfballs. Quite painful. Sorry to hear of the damage in other areas. Pat.

Yes indeed! They had lot of damages in Le Bugue and above all two tourists dead because of fallen trees in the campsite. 

So definitely it was a very bad time! But i'm afraid it was not "enough" to be considered as a "catastrophe naturelle" ... so if you had damages on your properties your insurance won't refund you the maximum.

Sabine

www.en-toutes-saisons.com

Crumbs i used to camp at Le Bugue.

I saw one a couple of weeks ago at the Perigueux expo park. It whipped rubbish and dust up and trashed an unfortunate African gentlemans stall.

An Oz staying with us said it was a wily wily which is the Aborigine word.

The storm cut through our part of the 'lot' region, through Pomerade, Goujounac, Montgesty and thereabouts. Apparently hail stones the size of large marbles have wreaked damage to many vines, trees, some cars had windscreens shattered and also bodywork dented. Fortunately it just missed us !