Electrical Goods and furniture in Auch

Hi, we have just completed on our house in Ste Aurence, Nr Masseube/Trie sur Baise (32) and are travelling over next week for three weeks DIY/holiday, before moving in permanently after Christmas. Point is the house is completely empty and we need to buy some of the basics before we move our furniture over next year i.e. fridge, washing machine & some furniture. Anyone have advice on best places to look ? We were thinking of trying the Leclerc at Auch ? Do these places have items in stock, or do you need to wait for delivery ? Also do they deliver and if so what sort of distance ? For info Auch is nearest but Tarbes could also be a possibility.

Gabe

We bought most of our white electrical goods in Leclerc at Auch and were quite satisfied with the service. We had to wait a couple of days for delivery, and can't remember if we had to pay or not. We have also done a lot of shopping at Tarbes. It's a bigger town with a better selection than Auch and I would think nearer for you. There are Leclercs there too the biggest being in the new Meridian centre off the road to Pau. Also Geant where we bought some other white goods. There's also a very cheap DIY place at Tarbes called Brico Depot. Most of the big stores are to the south and west of the town. Pat.

Patf, thanks for the info. We will probably try Tarbes on Tuesday as we willl be in desperate need of a fridge. Still struggle with UHT milk i'm afraid. As I assume that you are in the area you wouldn't happen to know of an architect that speaks at least a little English. I can get by face to face, but initially will have to do quite alot on the telephone and this is much more challenging. Who knows what we might end up with !

We bought our white goods (we're just 6 miles south west of Trie) in Tarbes in Darty. We bought a couple of their own make things and they were pretty good. Follow the signposts to pau on the Route Nationale, not the motorway, and you will pass just about everything. The biggest Leclerc in the area is right at the far end just before you leave the town. From memory the Darty is just before it; both on the left.

Hi,

We're in Gers too and considered Auch and Tarbes, but as we didn't have time to browse, 2 small children and I was 6 months pregnant, we just ordered off the internet "maismoinscher" dot com I think and the service and price were excellent - as far as I remember the delivery was free. As for all the big shops on the Pau side of Tarbes, we've shopped there ever since. Conforama and But will both let you "borrow" a van to bring your goods home. I think it was 19 euro for 2 hours. However we did have to wait for a couple of days for the van!

Thanks for the replies, Tarbes it is then. I understand you point Ormx, we have three young children ourselves and after the whole day couped up in the car travelling down on Monday, they will be like beserkers on Tuesday. Bit of advice if I may, stay clear of the white goods sections on Tuesday, it may not be pretty.

Once again thanks to all for the pointers

Gabe

"Still struggle with UHT milk i'm afraid" 

Unless you invest in a good coolbox and get your fresh milk straight into it ASAP after you buy it, you will find that in the current climate your milk will be off within a day, fridge or not.  That is why the French use UHT