Guys,

Anyone seen anything of the Paris troubles spilling over to the South West ?

Were coming down this weekend and the wife is a little worried.

Having lived near London for most of my adult life I tend to be very sceptical of the press headlines seen here in the last week or so. Is the trouble isolated to the cities ?

I did see two police motorcyclists in 24 harassing 3 arab lads on a moped which had no insurance. They were having a lively discussion but did not get around to a full scale riot in the Auchan car park. Quite how 3 of them were invoved and had no crash helmets I do not ubderstand.

Unless you enjoy trawling around sink estates you are going to be fine.

There are curfews now in the rioting areas so you are unlikely to get near them.

Hear in 24 near Ribérac its winter mode its safe to go to the market on Fridays again

As all the tourists have gone home .and all the maze has gone.

Went for a walk to day and we only saw two cars its bloody marvellous  and 20c  

Mind  you the Australians staying next door have been told by there  family back home that Paris is burning ,So have changed there plans and are going on to London instead of Paris  

Isn't it strange that the French papers don't mention these towns. Now is it the UK right wing press having a field day playing up the French troubles so to enhance the anti european stance of their owners (Up yours Froggie with a bit of revenge thrown in for the lack of support over the Iraq war) OR are the French playing down the troubles? 

Does one burning car on a road equal a riot? Perhaps to 24 news reporters and the UK Foreign Office it does

I spoke to me dear old mum the other day she was quite confused as before WW11 she had a penfriend who lived in a nice little chateau in Villeneuve sur Lot.

How things change.

I wonder if other people here have noticed that whenever something rather horrible is going in Police State UK the Propaganda Department gets the Tv to show french problems to try and make the overtaxed UK serf be happy with their lot.

In Uk when there are riots lasting days they put a D Notice on publicising the event. What you don't know doesn't happen....

Yet, I don't recall any French nationals trying and suceeding in blowing up transport links in Paris.

Trying, yes.  Succeeding, no.   All sorts of alleged plots against Paris, Strasbourg cathedral, you name it, keep getting thwarted by the super French anti-terrorist forces.

Somebody said that the riots weren't in the French news.  They most certainly are!  Over 1000 cars burned last night, most of them in "les provinces"   Funny expression really, it makes you think of backward rural villages, then they show shots of Toulouse.    25 in Montpellier, a handful in Frontignan and Sète.

Quillan, you'll have to argue with Sarkozy.  He says that "le modèle français de l'intégration" just isn't working.    Surprise surprise!

A view from a colleague who lives in one of the affected areas of Paris.... the lads who do these things wouldn't dare to do them during the day, because they'd be seen and their parents would find out. 

[quote]Yet, I don't recall any French nationals trying and suceeding in blowing up transport links in Paris. Trying, yes. Succeeding, no. All sorts of alleged plots against Paris, Strasbourg cathedral, ...[/quote]

Their parents didn't notice they smelled like smoke and petrol when they got home?

[quote]Yet, I don't recall any French nationals trying and suceeding in blowing up transport links in Paris. Trying, yes. Succeeding, no. All sorts of alleged plots against Paris, Strasbourg cathedral, ...[/quote]

"Somebody said that the riots weren't in the French news"

No I didn't,  I said that many of the towns listed in the Daily Torygraph were not mentioned in the French NewsPAPERS.  I read Le Depeche et Midi Libre and they did not mention anywhere except Paris and Toulouse.