Caravan Dealers

We are planning to relocate to France in 2007 (buying a property in 2006). We are caravanners and think that we might have problems registering our current caravan in France (lack of certificate of conformity - the manufacturers only supply in the UK - it is a Bailey bought new in 2004 so if anyone has succeeded in registering one I would like to know).

We are visiting the Ariege and surrounding departments in January and would like to look at some French spec caravans to get an idea of what we would get for our money.

Does anyone know of the location of any dealers in this area?

Paul

Two suggestions.

I am a bit of a Hobby fan and these are available in the UK. Ebay has them and you need to look for one that does not have UK after it as this has been produced specifically for the UK market. Easy way to check is to ask if the van has UK oe eroupen power sockets. Thes vans are available in France but they cost a lot more second hand here.

If you fancy a new one you can save a bundle buying from Germany. This is not so stupid as it sounds as they are only a days drive away once in France. Have a look at

http://www.hobby-caravans.com/

http://www.caravan-owandner.de/

They both sell Hobby vans at really good prices, cheaper than both the UK and France by quite a lot which makes it well worth the trip. The first one will also give you all the paperwork required to register it in France. Don't buy a twin axle one as most camp sites won't take them and at that size you will require something like a Discovery or a Sprinter van to tow it.

Thanks for your comments Jc - but we seem to have got hooked on Bailey vans - 3rd new one since 2001! And Bailey only sell in the UK. owever, having spoken to them they may be able to provide a C of C - I shall wait and see, especially if it will get it in to France.

Quillan thanks for the advice on buying in Germany - do not mind tavelling and could also include a holiday. Had a quick look through the websites - had looked at German vans when we were first looking to buy a caravan and thought they were somewhat different to British ones. However, OH wants a separate shower and could not see a model with one in my quick look.

We had been told that thee can be differences between UK supplied and continental Europe supplied vans hence the reason for anting to look when we are next in France.

I had read that twin axles do have problems getting on to sites in France and intend to stick with single axles even though we do have a Disco to tow with.

Wont comment on Big J apart from the outfit I have is capable of running at the maximum road speeds. When you are held up behind my outfit it is because here is someone in front of me dawdling along. When this happens you will find me positioning the oufit in various places on the road so that those following can see that it is not the caravan that is slowing matters down.

Anyway, if anyone does know the location of dealers I would be most grateful.

Paul

Glad to hear from a responsible owner-a few years back,travelled down the old N20 in Southern France in a large convoy stuck behind a UK registered outfit which was travelling at well below the speed limit and passed straight by every lay-by etc.-best part of thirty miles before dual carriageway was reached.We had a caravan owner in our office who denied he ever travelled in convoy with another owner-then one day he was heard chatting with a friend and agreeing to meet him at a particular lay-by so they could travel along together.

[quote]Thanks for your comments Jc - but we seem to have got hooked on Bailey vans - 3rd new one since 2001! And Bailey only sell in the UK. owever, having spoken to them they may be able to provide a C of C...[/quote]

I think you will find that all the continental vans have showers but they don't always come with the shower head. Another method is that the shower head is also the sink tap and comes out on a hose.

The Europeans do like good sized showers and they appear to like them en-suite as well. The vans don't normally have batteries, they are 240V but then all EU campsites for caravans have power. Fridges run of 12V via the car when travelling much as in the UK. They also use the big 32 pin (I think it's 32 pin) sockets on cars and come with stabalizers as standard. They carry water internally and the latest have grey water tanks rather like campers. Virtually all have blown air heating as standard.

I have to say that I much prefer European vans (specially the Hobby), they are higher spec than UK ones, much better made and insulated and the workmanship is to a much higher quality. Many of the 'extras' are included like sun blinds and mozy blinds. They are aslo cheaper if bought in Germany.

Get the Caravan magazine in France and it lists all the dealers in all the regions for all the makes.

Hi We moved to France last year and had no trouble registering our Avondale Avocet(which they do not sell in France).I posted my messages on another site I think it was cars etc I will have a look and post another message in a minute.

lorraine (nobby)