Dept 82

Don't live in the area anymore but one of your other posts hints that you are near Caylus. If so not far from you is St Antonin Noble Val which is a mecca for local ex pats brits and many other nationalities. The market on a sunday is a major meet up but if you want to meet people don't go during the summer months as its full of tourists. Also in St Antonin is a cinema which shows many films in VO  (original language with sub titles). Its a great way to learn some language and also to meet people. Their is an english book shop which is periodicaly open, and the estate agents Agence L'Union has many adverts for english speaking tradesmen etc, can be very useful if you know no one.

On a Sunday the ex pats tend to congregate at the cafe in the market square (Les Halles before mid day and drinks used to be in La Brasserie (spellin!!) after midday. Beware though the Brasserie used to have some pretty unsavioury characters, amongst the many punters, who are probably best avoided.

Good luck enjoy your place

We are currently on the midst of a new build near to Lavit de Lomagne, which seems relatively undiscovered by Brits as far as I can see. (Having said that people will now no doubt emerge from the woodwork to prove me wrong!)

I know of only two other Brit couples down there, and half of one of those is actually Australian anyway. I have to say that this is how I like things to be - but my opinions on this may change when we actually become resident sometime next year!

This year we spent two most enjoyable weeks in a villa near St Antonin, so we are getting to know the whole departement bit by bit on each trip.

Anyhow, good luck and maybe our paths will cross in the near future,

Roger H

• 1 month later...

thanks for you kind encouragement - we too like the quiet life, and are happy not to swop UK for a "mini UK" however, sometimes the forum seems very biased away from this area, and it is reassuring to know that there are other like minded folk nearby.

Moving in just after Easter and can't wait, thanks again for your replies.

Hi Foz n Robbo

We are not too far from you, about 8km nw of Caussade.   We have been here about 6 months now and dont regret a thing.  I dont know about it being quiet here though - theres plenty going on if you want to get out and about.  The brilliant thing is you can easily have a balance between the very quiet and rural but with good towns and cities within easy access.  Feel free to get in touch if you want any advice or help.  Good luck with the move.

• 1 month later...

about 8km nw of Caussade? Montpezat de Quercy perhaps?

We lived in rented for 18 months at Montalzat then moved to 6km N of Caussade in May 2005. Not the typical Brit stone restoration but a tiny plein-pied built in 87! We being Madame et Moi - ex Tunbridge Wells (I can hear the sigh from here!) now firmly French residents. Many French friends, mostly proprietors of restaurants and bars in Caussade!

Sometimes, not too often, miss UK aquaintances and discussions on any subject except Country and Western music, education, house prices and the availability of The Daily Telegraph!

Feel free to ignore this. I think I might .

Please reply if you feel like a pint one evening.

Peter

Hi

We're at the Aveyron end of  department 82 in Laguepie.  Most people (even the tax office) disown us and say we aren't in the T & G, but we are honest.  Laguepie doesn't have many English residents, but quite a few come by for the market and monthly foire.  People are friendly, we run a B & B, other half works for small local plumbing and electrical company and I work as a volunteer in the village library.  Moved here just over 3 years ago and still loving it - though have to confess to missing English friends.  Have made good French friends but not quite the same as those who know what you mean when you say 'Here's one I made earlier'.   If you are passing by do drop in and say hello - if you want good markets suggest Villefranche de Rouergue (Thursdays) or Caussade (Mondays) - St Antonin is just a bit too 'English' I think - personal opinion - but the cinema is great, and the canoeing brilliant in the summer.

Glad to see Neil replied to you even though he is back in Blighty.  He may have left, but his strimmer is still working marvellously hacking through the lump of mountain I fondly call my garden.

Maggi

www.les-cerisiers.net

• 2 weeks later...

Laguepie will be very close to us at Caylus.  Will try the markets as you suggest.  Have been to St A market, but in the summer was hideously busy.  OK in Feb though.

Moving in 2 months, loads to think of.  Got P de C for stables now so at least the horses can have somewhere to live!!

Thanks for the replies

K &C