Fosse - assainissement non-collectif - inspection due!

We've been looking at a property in Dept 44.  When I asked the owner about the fosse, he told us straight out that there was a SPANC inspection and sent us a copy of the certificate which states the grounds on which the fosse is non-compliant.

Now, he has commissioned a geologist to prepare the specs for a compliant fosse and a copy of that report went to the local mairie.

Also, he has agreed to adjust the price of the property to reflect the cost of putting in a new fosse.  Because he has been so honest and reasonable, I have told him that, as long as he takes off the fosse costs, we will commission the work ourselves in order to save him the hassle of having it done, particularly as he has since returned to the UK.

So, I think it's as well to ask about existing fosses (even if they do not yet form part of the diagnostics) because it could be a bargaining point for you when you buy.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

there really is more to life than the weather, isn't there?

[/quote]Quite.  It would never have occured to me to move anywhere else in France just for the sake of a bit of warmth - not guaranteed anywhere anyway.   I'm used to living in the middle of nowhere as we had done so for over 20 years before moving here and I did as a kid, but I do need to be within reach of the things I enjoy - in my case motor racing, the cinema, a theatre and other bits of culture.  I'd find it hard to live in a town now but I do need to be near one.   If life is boring then it doesn't really matter if it's cold or wet does it?

Sweet 17 yes have been around 44 lots to do lots to see much more going on. Access of course better and generally not much difference in the weather between here in the Vendee and 44.

Whatever truly hope it goes well for you.

Going home for Wales v France in February taking our local Pharmacist staying not too far from Cowbridge. Could not afford Porthcawl.

[quote user="dragonrouge"]Sweet 17 yes have been around 44 lots to do lots to see much more going on. Access of course better and generally not much difference in the weather between here in the Vendee and 44. Whatever truly hope it goes well for you. Going home for Wales v France in February taking our local Pharmacist staying not too far from Cowbridge. Could not afford Porthcawl.[/quote]

LOL, Dragon, since when has Porthcawl, arguably the benefits centre of the south Wales heritage coast, been pricier than Cowbridge?

Thanks for the info on 44.  During our short visit, I did think it had more of a buzz about it and the 2 or 3 towns I saw certainly looked classier than those around me here.

Not too worried about access as we've only been back the once in nearly 3 years and that was by special request of one of the kids.  Still, might be tempted to pay more visits if it wasn't such a drag, driving from here to the tunnel (do the tunnel so as not to leave the dog on her own).

Enjoy the game........but, which country will you be shouting for?

For the better team on the night in that I have to remain dignified!

As to Porthcawl I used to go there so many many years ago for week end courses but that was of course way back and I have just been there once in over 40 years.

Then it was a lovely place did not truly realise its present position.

Being nosey, why are you moving Sweet 17 and Dragonrouge? Is it the house you bought, the town or the region?

We're moving next month from Normandy to the Vendee; we're going from an old stone house with lots of land on the edge of a small town to a new house in the centre of a town twice as big, with lots there including marina, beach, rivers lots of walks and quite a few shops.