hunting rules?

Can anyone tell me what, if any, legal rules apply to the chasse in France.The startling noise of shots isn't welcome close to properties.  We are woken up at 8am hunt days now and again, right on the boundary, by these shots.

So, is there a legal distance in existence for shooting near houses?

YES in a word there is a legal distance from a house and it is 150 metres to fire or have a loaded gun. You can prevent hunters using your land by way of a legal process therefore making it Chasse Interdite!

You can go to our website where you will find 3 associations that will assist you with this. The only cost to you will be to become a member of one of these associations, this is not very much.

All the best,  Chris

I was hoping you would answer this Chris.  I also thought, or had heard, that it was 150 metres and that shots could only be fired away from the house.  But the ROC site above says that there is no distance, except that the shots have to be fired away from the house, that is why they are asking for 350 metres.   ???

Edit: Which are the three associations, please?

Sorry my earlier post was a bit rushed! It is definitely 150 metres and as you say shots must be fired away from buildings.

If you have made your land or garden Chasse Interdite it is also illegal to fire into or across your land or to enter it.

This is a result of the 1999 ruling in the European Court that French law was in contravention of  human rights . In this instance the rights of a property owner to enjoy their own land without disturbance or being put in danger or by a matter of conscience to prevent the killing of animals on ones own land.

As many will be aware in most of France under the so called Law Verdeille the local ACCA (hunters association) has the right to hunt on all the land regardless of who owns it, this includes gardens!

After the 1999 ruling it became possible to "take your land back"  but just to make it that little bit more difficult it can only be finalised at 5 yearly intervals (birthdays) from the date of creation of you local ACCA.

Associations that will assist you with this are:

Ligue ROC  http://www.roc.asso.fr    

ASPAS    http://www.aspas-nature.org

or any branch of the LPO. Ligue de protection des Oiseaux.

I hope this helps to clarify the situation a bit.

Chris.

There are several issues here - personally I am not sure that sabotage would be constructive or even a correct way to behave. 

There are however other issues that are already on the agenda, one being making Sunday a hunt free day to enable people and their families to use the countryside without the risk of being shot - which does occur! After all, France does pride itself on being the "Land of the family"

There is also the issue of hunters breaking the law, which is also widespread, both with regard to  breaking the dates set for the seasons (France already has the longest hunting season in Europe) and it would seem for many this is not enough, also with regard to the use of prohibited means.

There is also the use of methods which many would consider at best from another age, Chasse au gluau - where branches are painted with glue and birds that land on it become stuck. Chasse au filet japonais - basically where large mist nets are stretched across an area and large numbers of birds get caught in it.   Chasse assomoir - where a large rock is propped up on a support which can be pulled away allowing the rock to fall on whatever is underneath. I could go on!

Many associations are working with these issues and I am pleased to say that last week WWF France have taken up the baton.

Chris.

PHEW!!

Thanks for all the input - seems I'm not alone, then, in being scared of a tradgedy happening, let alone the disruption, etc.

Perhaps our first thought of approaching the Marie would be an ineffectual one, given the clear brazen 'attitude' of the two hunters that let off shots, plus the last one walking the road and lane with a gun I presume to be loaded (otherwise what's the point!).  We're also veggire, which is another story, and can't believe the methods described for baiting - go to a supermarche, for heaven's sake!!!

As we are up for sale here, from this week, due to a family crisis, do the forum members in the know of these organisations deem it worth me getting involved at that level, or would it add too much stress to an already stressed-out pair?

Giving it much thought, thanks again.

When I got tired of buckshot flying over our house from hunters within 50 meters of our home (children outside playing), I called the Gendarmes.  They laughed at me and asked me what I wanted THEM to do about it.  I told them.  They didn't appreciated it and said there was nothing they could do.  I said that if one of my children or pets is shot, they will have me at their throat. 

Yes Lori, this unfortunately is the attitude we are up against.  That is why I advised everyone to get their cats, etc. in.  They are there, we know that, and it is up to us to protect our pets in the same way as if there was a dangerous road nearby.  It would seem normal that this should no longer be allowed at least on a Sunday for "normal" people's peace and quiet and security, but...  

The way to deal with the Gendarmourie in France is to make a complaint!  If you make a complaint they are obliged to take action and investigate, they may not want to and they may not like it, but they must act. This applies to any matters not just hunters and guns.

It just depends on how pushy you want to be. Chris

Yes, I guess I could have headed to the Gendarmerie to make a formal complaint.  But, this particular hunter had been showing up for several days - wine jug in one hand, shotgun in the other (I told the Gendarmes this when I called ...  ).  My French neighbors and myself were out there yelling at him to move on as he was too close to our homes/children.  We could see him clearly and he could see all of us.  He grumbled some incoherent words and continued his shooting.  That is when I called the Gendarmes.  I felt we needed response then, not days later when they managed to find the time to investigate a written complaint. 

I have to admit, this is one area I am not too impressed with here.  Police/Gendarme protection is lacking and not just with regard to this issue.

Zeb100 - not sure if your post was referring to mine, or just in general.  I myself, have no problem with hunters as long as they aren't shooting 50 meters from my backyard (alcohol in one hand, shotgun in the other).  It was a clear danger to my children, playing in the yard and perhaps even in the house - our house is filled with windows.   

Oh and by the way, I do not fall into the cateory of Treehugger or Brit.

I completely agree with zeb 100, what arrogance to come to a foreign country and the first thing you want to do is join societies that are hell bent on ruining the local way of life, I am amazed we get such a welcome from the local French people when there are people like you lot here, intgrate dosen't mean take over or are you just more people who come here because it's cheaper than the UK

Well, if it takes an outsider to point out barbaric behavior and try and make a difference in an area that is now one's home, (when it comes to guns being shot at your house or cruelty to animals) I for one say, so be it and well done for those brave ones

The "societies" are French Krill.  I had another confirmation yesterday from a French person of how they welcome the English and I reconfirm that I have never heard a remark from a French person against the English here.  Noone is trying to take anything over, there are many French people who dislike "plomb" all over their houses and I think Lori referred to a French neighbour who was not pleased during the same incident.

If you are both trying to come on the thread to "stir things up", it's a waste of time...

I am afraid that neither Krill nor ZEB100 seem to have read the thread. I have just arrived home from work and re read it.

The issue is about the LAW, its application and people who break the law.

I have no problems in my relationships with French people or society. Most of my spare time is spent working for the LPO, which I suppose most people consider to be the French equivalent of the RSPB, both are members of Bird Life International and also for the Nature associations in the region which are the equivalent of County Wildlife Trusts. I think it would be fair to say that these are FRENCH and very respectable.

You also assume that the people posting on this thread are Brits?

Best wishes Chris

Actually I have a real problem with people who defend those that do not hunt properly and say that those who criticise are criticising the French way of life. My husband's family are mostly in farming, and they hunt. They are so careful and cautious, as they have families and pets of their own. Of course it is not without danger, but few things are. Saying that people who are worried are in some way critical of a French way of life is just showing pure ignorance. There is no French tradition of being careless. Defending such carelessness tarring everybody with the same brush.

The Federation Nationale des Chasseurs publishes a book called "le nouvel examen du permis de chasser"  which covers among other things, Infractions et Sanctions, and Securite. Officers responsible for enforcing rules are gardes nationaux de la chasse at de la faune sauvage. One of the rules is " On ne tire jamais en direction d'une habitation." As far as I could see distances aren't mentioned except for quoting distances that different types of ammunition can travel etc. At the back of the book is a list of addresses for the Federation by department. The book includes a section on types of fauna that can be hunted and those that are protected. Pat.

This afternoon I had a meeting with an officer of the Office National de la Chasse et de la Faune Sauvage.

He confirmed the distance of 150 metres and guns must be fired away from buildings. He also said that if someone with a gun had been obviously drinking alcohol the gun should be removed and the authorities called to make a breath test. He also said that should anyone have a problem to contact them.

If you had seen this man (a professional controller of wild animals) you would have big problems calling him a tree hugger!   Chris