2012 Tax Declaration - Private Pensions and Government Pensions

lyndros

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="lif"]

Thanks, does that still apply if UK tax has been paid on the OAP? or at least the tax code has been 'fiddled' with.

[/quote]

Yes because  the OAP is taxable in France but NOT in the UK.

You need to have the tax code in the UK revised

There is a form for this purpose which the French tax people sign to say they will tax your OAP  here and to tell the HMCR not to include it in calculating the UK tax code

Search for France Individual

In view of the rather unhelpfull replies(do a search,this has been answered before etc) I will try and spell it out simply.

You should NOT be taxed in the UK on your State(oald age) pension.

You should be taxed in France on this.

You are ,at the moment being taxed in the UK via a tax code adjustment.

In order to sort out this problem you need to complete a France Individual form

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/forms/view.page?record=mqpUQnAtx50&formId=975

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/france-individual.pdf

You then take this form along with this years tax return to your local tax office

Eventually ( can take several months)you will receive notification from the UK that your tax code has been altered back up so that you are not taxed on your OAP in the UK and you will receive a refund of excess tax paid.

In regards to the French tax return

You complete Sec VI on 2047 in respect of the teachers pension (Gross)

You complete Sec 1 Pensions on 2047 in respect of the OAP pension.

Complete Sec 1AS/1BS on 2042(total of all pensions Gross)

Complete Sec 8TK in respect of your teachers pension.

I must say that your accountant is pretty crap if he did not understand that you pay tax in France on an OAP(state) pension)

"In view of the rather unhelpful replies(do a search,this has been answered before etc) I will try and spell it out simply"

This could run and run if you do this every time someone comes along who hasn't read the thread.

It can be helpful to explain in minute detail, but when that has already been done before it can also be useful to suggest reading back or searching.  On the other hand that doesn't allow one-upmanship in quite the same way as "In view of the rather unhelpful replies  I  will try etc "[;-)]

You did a good job of giving a clear reply to a  complex situation, and that is probably what was needed in this late moment for the person who asked.

I prefer to steer people towards using things like the search or the Forum FAQs , because that would be more use long term, and prevents long   repetitive threads which can become confusing to wade through.

[quote user="NormanH"]You did a good job of giving a clear reply to a  complex situation, and that is probably what was needed in this late moment for the person who asked.

I prefer to steer people towards using things like the search or the Forum FAQs , because that would be more use long term, and prevents long   repetitive threads which can become confusing to wade through.

[/quote]

Hi,

I have to agree with Norman H on this.   After several years of answering basically the same collection of questions over and over again it has occurred to me that many posters make no attempt to research the mass of information available on forums, and also on sites like www.impots.fr, and service public .   If after doing some work for themselves people are still bewildered (a state that is easily attained dealing with french tax) then I am always happy to try and help.

I used to answer the same questions every day for well on nigh 35 years. If I had told them to go and find the answer for themselves I suspect I would not be in receipt of the pension I now have.

It takes more effort to moan about people not doing research than to answer the question.

It may be better to point the way rather than provide a complete answer. In

providing links and references one can point in the right direction which will

encourage the researcher to find a result the process of which will be

remembered, better understood and available for future application. The simple

answer under some circumstances ain't always doin' them no

favours guv!..........JR

Patronising and offhand responses apart (now, would I?), given that Sunday Driver put so much work and effort into the  TAX FAQ'S at the top of this board, I do try to point new posters in that direction.  It has even been updated to reflect most of the changes (except the new one about the collection of social charges) and I think would have dealt with all the points raised by our latest questioner. 

Is it that people don't see the FAQs or that they don't trust them, or what? 

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Patronising and offhand responses apart (now, would I?), given that Sunday Driver put so much work and effort into the  TAX FAQ'S at the top of this board, I do try to point new posters in that direction.  It has even been updated to reflect most of the changes (except the new one about the collection of social charges) and I think would have dealt with all the points raised by our latest questioner. 

Is it that people don't see the FAQs or that they don't trust them, or what? 

[/quote]

I suspect

1) People do not know that this advice exists so do not look for it.

2) Unless one goes into the actual section headed French Finance it does not show up.

3) It is not clear from the heading that it is advice on completing the tax return,perhaps "How to complete your French Tax return" would be a better indicator.

4) It is actually dated 2008 so people may think it is out of date.

1.  If I "tune in" to a website, I usually look at the FAQs before asking a question.  Isn't this normal?

2. Newbies looking for tax advice surely look for it on the Finance board, don't they?  Where else would they look?

3.  I'd expect Tax FAQs to include filling in a tax form, but clearly those are not the kind of questions which newbies think are asked frequently about tax!

4.  The last update date (as it were) is right at the top!

I'm not saying you're wrong in your assumptions, BaF, but it's not rocket science to find the thread if you care to look for it is it(that being the rub, n'est-ce pas?)

Mods : Maybe we should take some of BaF's points on board, as clearly it's still not obvious that the info' is there and readily available and easy to understand.

. If I "tune in" to a website, I usually look at the FAQs before asking a question. Isn't this normal?

I doubt it, I have never looked at the FAQs.

2. Newbies looking for tax advice surely look for it on the Finance board, don't they? Where else would they look?

Possibly but perhaps they just look for active topics first

3. I'd expect Tax FAQs to include filling in a tax form, but clearly those are not the kind of questions which newbies think are asked frequently about tax!

Not necessarily,I certainly did not think it gave advice on filling in a tax form .

4. The last update date (as it were) is right at the top!

You have to actually open the FAQ page to see the fact it has been recently updated otherwise it shows date as 2008

It's obviously me - it took me four years to realise that "Active Topics" even existed!  [:-))] The home page of the forum is, afaik, a list of the various boards.   Plus, I'd be a bit embarassed to ask a question before exhausting the FAQs on any forum/help site, if I were expecting people to give up their spare time to help me.  Still, clearly I'm a bit weird so maybe the mods could alter it if that's what stopping people from finding readily available info' which people have put a great deal of effort into producing?