Moving to the Pyrenees - but where?

Can anyone offer advice on where I really should avoid, and where I really should consider (I'll understand if you don't want to reveal your own little idyll!).  As I've described in my Living France blog http://www.livingfrance.com/blogs/marksblog.asp (shameless plug, sorry), I'm looking at anywhere between Cauterets and south of Foix.  It would ideally need to be within 30 minutes drive of a ski resort.  I'm hoping that this factor should reduce the search to pockets of locations adding up to no more than 100 sq kms.

Some local knowledge would be HUGELY valuable to me.

Thanks, Mark

Hi,

You are a little south of me in the Lot but I have travelled extensively around the area you are looking.The only place I didn't like was Lourdes as it's far too tourist tacky for me but that's just my personal taste and others may love it.Your post has reminded me I must take my son up the Pic du Midi as he hasn't been.

Happy hunting

I think John's advice to rent is good. The area you are thinking of can

be quite cool and rainy, though as you say, near to ski resorts.

Bagneres de Bigorre is a beautiful town with attractive villages

nearby. We live in the Gers which is 1 and a half hours from Pic de

Midi and husband wishes we had bought somewhere a bit nearer but to me

the area south of here is very flat and uninteresting until you're

actually in the foothills. Pat.

We think that Foix is a very  nice town and some of the surrounding areas are lovely. We have a house near Lavelanet and although we can ski in our local ski resort Mont D'Olmes we prefer to ski at Ax. We have never had bad snow conditions ther for the last three years. As you go towards arascon the valley becomes narrower and a little darker so Foix is probably your best bet.

We live at Montaut (09) which is one hour's drive north of Ax and about 30 minutes from Foix. I think you need to look closely at climate conditions in local areas, which can vary quite dramatically, and not be too tied to the idea of 30 minutes from Ax or another ski resort. After all the ski season only lasts for around 4 months of the year. I fully agree with the idea of renting in the area and checking it out properly.

Good luck

Jan Laury

We live about 45 minutes to an hour from several ski resorts.  The advantages of that far outweigh the inconvenience of a bit of extra driving time.  When there's great snow on the pistes there's rarely snow chez nous which means lower heating bills!  When you start getting a bit of altitude the weather can change dramatically.  I read this recently:

http://money.independent.co.uk/property/homes/article339214.ece

How I agree with Mrs MDW. I live in the Alps and when we were looking for land we most certainly went for a valley. Ofcourse we always had a little further to drive to ski but we prefered to have less snow to negociate in our every day lives.

The advantage would have been that at altitude it is cooler in summer and these days that also has a lot of appeal.

Still if everywhere is a compromise, then I would rather have less snow to contend with.

Hi Mark, I pretty much agree with the rest, everyone has their own ideas of which part is best and it's all pretty good.

The climate can change dramatically the further south you are. I've been in the garden of my house in a T-shirt working one day and grabbing the thermals the next. The winter Ski season is relatively short and most resorts now extend them with snow machines. Best bet is to come down and maybe stop for a week in the North of the region and then in the South. Do a bit of touring. Try to narrow it down to a shortlist of what YOU want out of the area.

One thing I will guarantee you is that you won't be disappointed!!

Good luck with your plans

www.midipyrenees.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...