Where are all the Brits in the Medoc - do they exist?

I live in the Medoc (33) - not all of the time but a lot of the time.  In September, I'll be there for 2 years as my children will be at school.  There seem to be no Brits in the area.  Mind you, the French neighbours will say (in French): "Do you know the Williams who live 20 kilometres away?" as if I am expected to know them.  Are you a Brit in the Medoc?  Are you Mr and Mrs Williams?

Hi Cathy, I am really surprised no one has responded. I thought there were quite a few Brits out your way. 

We are on he eastern side of the Dordogne but do know there are loads that have settled on the Western side near Ste-Foy-La-Grande that isn't too far from Bordeaux.

In any case maybe this has brought the thread back up so hopefully someone in your area will respond.

I sit in the study looking out over the Gironde and see the Medoc, very lovely it looks too with the sun shimmering on the water.However I'm in Charente Maritime ( sometimes,like you,I come and go !) so no use at all really[6]

Lizzie - I have just seen the Soulac lighthouse on your website.  I visit Royan as a foot passenger sometimes for a day out with the children, especially on a Sunday so that we can go to the large market.  I might be in touch in the autumn as I was wondering whether to buy something else on the other side of the Gironde.

WJT - there don't appear to be many on this side of the Gironde.  It is mainly Germans here, which is why I can't get my Daily Telegraph (shock horror - I am a Telegraph reader) except when I go to Bordeaux.

[quote user="Cathy"]WJT - there don't appear to be many on this side of the Gironde.  It is mainly Germans here, which is why I can't get my Daily Telegraph (shock horror - I am a Telegraph reader) except when I go to Bordeaux.[/quote]

No shock horror from me, I like you even more now [:)]

I wasn't aware that it was more popular with the Germans, very interesting, I wonder why.  In any case surely there must be other Brits in the area, hopefully someone here will spot this thread. Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cathy

Where on the Medoc are you?  We live on the northern side of St Medard en Jalles on the road out to La Porge. I sometimes here English spoken in the Intermarche, but haven't come across any other Brits living nearby.

Are your kids going to a local school when they come over in September?

Drop me a line if you want a chat.

Joanna

[quote user="Cathy"]Lizzie - I have just seen the Soulac lighthouse on your website.  I visit Royan as a foot passenger sometimes for a day out with the children, especially on a Sunday so that we can go to the large market.  I might be in touch in the autumn as I was wondering whether to buy something else on the other side of the Gironde.[/quote]

Just seen this. I look forward to being in touch, if that makes sense ? [:$] Our side is great !!! You can buy the telegraph as well[;-)]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cathy - I was very interested in your post.  Caroline and I are planning to move to France as soon as we can get a buyer for our house and we are thinking of the Medoc as our first choice.  Do you enjoy life there despite (or maybe because of) the absence of fellow Brits.

Looking at Wanadoo Meteo, it seems to be hotter in Manchester than on the Gironde at the moment, I hope this is just a temporary blip.

John and Caroline

Just seen your post Cathy. I go back to UK early October and am in UK for Father's 80th birthday early September, so we'll have a small window of opportunity as George W. might say[;-)].  Hope your relatives get on OK ? It is a bit of a problem, one of the reasons I'm now UK based.[:(]

John and Caroline - I've sent you an e-mail.  I can't understand about the temperatures.  Perhaps it is comparing the centre of Manchester (sweltering hot) with the top of a Gironde sand dune (refreshing breeze)...

• 1 year later...

Cathy I wish I knew where the Medoc is cos I would like to be able to say Hi!   But, I have a feeling you will be too far away from where we are planning to move to in Dept 24/46?

Good luck though, and if ever you're passing........................???

• 2 weeks later...

Mog

The Medoc is north west of Bordeaux on a peninsular between the coast and the River Gironde.  It is best known for its fine wines, e.g. Chateau Lafitte, Chateau Latour etc, but has miles of golden beaches to the west and acres & acres of pine forests, criss-crossed with cycle paths galore.

Wooly

We don't need to flee.  The Medoc is beautiful.  Its old fashioned charm is wonderful.  The beaches of golden sand are stunning.  The chateaux are out of this world - you should see them lit up at night around Pauillac.  The winter weather is so much better than the rest of France - mild temperatures, so lower heating bills.  I could go on...

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just read your post.  Yes, there are Brits in the Medoc but we are few and far between.  I've been living here for 5 years now with my husband and 2 children and actually enjoy the fact that there aren't many Brits here.  After all, we wanted to live in France!!!  And it does force you to get out there and integrate.  However, I understand your reasons for wanting to find fellow Brits in the area because it always nice to have a chat and share experiences.  If you live near the Lesparre area or even further afield, please get in touch. 

And I completely agree with your description of the Medoc, it really is a beautiful place.....

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Cathy

just found this forum by chance-was really looking for airport parking at Bordeaux Airport. I am moving to the Medoc in april 08 and will be living in a little village called Blaignan amongst the vineyards.It would be great to have someone to contact for tips and advice!!.

Regards Liz Swire