How do I let long term?

Looking into the rental agreements in France I realise that if I let out our village house in the Tarn under normal arrangements, we have to have tenants for 3 years and they have all sorts of rights (including right to buy!).  It's a lovely 3 bedroomed house and fully equipped but I want to let it out to people who are perhaps wanting to house-hunt in the area, or having building work done. We have a larger house half an hour away.  How should I advertise it though? The local press and estate agents only seem to cover those 3 year rentals. 

So apart from advertising in Living France of course, how do I find those tenants?

Hi Bluebee

How about advertising at the local Marie, or town Hall on their local notice board, most have one. I have been looking for rentals, and found quite a few people advertise this way, especially with their telephone number listed about 10 times at the bottom as strips, so that people can just tear one off to take home with them. Also local supermarkets have message boards. I hope this helps.

Dee

As long as you only let for a period up to six months then you will be fine as this can be covered by a holiday let contract. Unless you want to convert it to a standard three year contract don't under any circumstances allow your guests to stay beyond six months as, by law, it will automatically become a formal let.

French Property News would  be a good place to advertise as this is read by most serious prospective buyers.

Not sure if this will help - but I'm looking for a 4-6 month rental in the Dordogne area at the moment & have come accross these sites.  They may be the sort of organisations you could advertise through, as they are mainly for couples, like us, who are house hunting.

If this is helpful, e-mail me, as I have found another few & can send you their details!!  [:)]

http://www.french-locations.co.uk

http://www.rentaplaceinfrance.com

Hi Moira,

Thanks for the offer - I've looked at your site & it looks really lovely.  Unfortunately, we are looking for something very rural, because of the cats.  I'm a terrible worrier about them!!  We pulled out of a house sale, a few years ago, because I had a dream that one of them got knocked down at the new house!!  I think I need to see someone in a "white coat" about my over worring - but they're my babies!! [:$]

Thanks again.

[quote user="Teamedup"]Alliards suggest you keep said pussys indoors during the hunting season then. Around here they seem to shoot at anything that moves.[/quote]

That's something I had never thought about!!  Is there anywhere I could find out about farmers shooting & fox hunting etc.?  When it happens, where is happens - & if I would get into trouble for killing someone who harms my cats??   

You'll know when it happens because you'll here the guns going off and the bells around the dogs necks. Where, could be anywhere. If you are in an area where they hunt then they could be a km or so away or they could be in your garden. Generally, I think, hunting is between September and March but there are exceptions. You'll get to know the days - weekends of course and usually a couple of other days. Morning are usually more popular but afternoon hunts can be a bit more worrying when you've seen them all in the bar at lunchtime !

We have three cats and try to keep them in when there is hunting going on but cats are usually fairly astute and know how to keep out of the way. We've never had a problem. Our farmer neighbout reckons a cat has more chance of being killed by a fox than being shot by a hunter - he's claims to have lost two cats to foxes.

Excuse me for being a bit ignorant here (as always) but I am a dog person myself.  Cats... Do you think it would be cruel to build a large run say 6x4 meters in your garden, all fenced off with bark and large tree trunks to climb or would that do their heads in?

We have a lot of foxes, badgers & deer running around were we live in Northern Ireland & as far as I know the cats have only had one run in with a fox, in about 8 years.  Ben had a cut ear - but I would have hated to see the state of the fox!! He's a BIG cat!!  [Www]  I read once that in fights between cats & foxes, the cat wins about 80%!!  & I've seen the damage they do to my sofa!!

Big Ben!!

[IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/Livingstone_Mark/cats/BenSept.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]Excuse me for being a bit ignorant here (as always) but I am a dog person myself.  Cats... Do you think it would be cruel to build a large run say 6x4 meters in your garden, all fenced off with bark and large tree trunks to climb or would that do their heads in?[/quote]

Hi KKK,

I was typing, while you were posting!!  I know a lot of people (usually pedigree cat breeders) who keep their cats in garden cages.  They can cover really big areas, with plenty of running around room - but I don't know if I would do it.  If it turns out we end up in a risky area - it is certainly something to think about.

We live in a very rural area and have a large garden, mostly overgrown woods - the hunters go through our woods regularly. Our two cats have never been shot or injured, and judging by the huge amount of local wild cats and wandering dogs, it is not something the hunters worry about. Generally they are thinking of their tummies and would prefer a wild boar or deer - it's not very macho to come home to the wife with a nice tabby cat for tea... There could well be accidents, of course, but this is the countryside and still preferable to the cats being on a busy road. Please don't put your cats in a cage, however large, unless they are already confined - I know mine would be miserable, seeing all that wildlife from behind bars! Your cats are obviously dear to you but they are not children and have minds of their own (not that kids don't but I wouldn't let my 3 yr old wander in the the woods on his own!). You could embarass them just a little bit and give them collars with bells and a lovely dayglow jacket each to let hunters know they are around, but they won't be able to hunt themselves then and will probably just get stuck on branches etc. I think mine would leave home! Good luck,

Jane 

Bluebee,

They only have the right to buy if you are selling!  If it is fully equipped, does that mean it is furnished?  If you let a place that is furnished, different rules may apply.  You could consult the ADIL or the ANIL who advise on these matters, their website doesn't seem to work but you could try ringing them, I have found them good in the past, they tell you what your rights are and it is free.

[quote user="Jane"]

Please don't put your cats in a cage, however large, unless they are already confined - I know mine would be miserable, seeing all that wildlife from behind bars! Your cats are obviously dear to you but they are not children and have minds of their own (not that kids don't but I wouldn't let my 3 yr old wander in the the woods on his own!). You could embarass them just a little bit and give them collars with bells and a lovely dayglow jacket each to let hunters know they are around, but they won't be able to hunt themselves then and will probably just get stuck on branches etc. I think mine would leave home! Good luck,

Jane 

[/quote]

Hi Jane,

Don't worry - we would never confine the cats to a cage or something similar.  We had a cat, Harvey, who had a heart attact when he was two.  The vet said he wouldn't last a month & it would be best to keep him indoors & quiet.  Not my wee Harvey - he loved the great outdoors & would have hated being confined to the house.  He got his 8 tablets a day & lived another 4 years as full & as an eventful life he could.  Still miss him terribly - 6 years later - but know we did the right thing by letting him have the life he loved.  [:(]

My 3, now, will have all the freedom they want.  They all have collars & bells & I like the idea of little yellow jackets!!  Saying that - they are all spread out, asleep, on the bed at the moment!!  What a life!!  [:)]

• 1 month later...
Thank you to those who offered advice about renting.  I didn't receive any alerts that I'd received responses!  The websites sound a good idea.  What about attracting french people who need rentals?  Who perhaps have the builders in or have just been relocated?  Has anyone done this or just stuck to british house hunters? 

In our area, they shoot cats whenever as they think that strays go after the poultry! I think a cage would be great, we are going to construct one when we are there in the summer with access from the kitchen window. I also think you could that way ensure your cats did not pick up ticks.