Atlantic coast

How about a bit further up the coast ? The beaches around Carcans are fabulous, everywhere is heaving in August though. Depends what you are after,the Gironde Estuary area itself is special, with loads of interesting wildlife and a "slowness" redolent of times past. Magic[:)]

Thanks

I'm open to all suggestions.  We haven't yet been over to the Atlantic and we really want to try it before we say Au Revoir to France.  I fear I may have left it too late though, as August is of course the busiest month....[:(]

I'll check these places out on the web now......

If anybody knows of any decent places to stay, we are two adults & two toddlers, so ideally we need self catering.....

Look in the Medoc where we live.  We have no extra space sadly.

There are numerous camping and caravan sites around our way.  The places for internet searching are Soulac, Vendays-Montalivet, Montalivet itself, Hourtin, Hourtin-Plage, Carcans (mentioned earlier) or Lacanau and Lacanau-Ocean.

The area has 150 miles of Atlantic coast beaches.  In August, it is great to body surf in the cascading waves, or even to jump up and down in them.  You do have to find a supervised beach but all of those mentioned above have one.

There are miles and miles of flat cycle paths and the Medoc vineyards are nearby for very good wine from the tap (carry some empty plastic bottles in your boot).

I hope that you find something.

The free advertising papers usually have a section on appartments for holiday lettings. Though this would mean booking on trust that the place was clean etc. Our french neighbours take a flat at the coast for a few weeks in the summer.Pat.