Sarlat on Saturday, July and August

We had to go to Sarlat yesterday morning - a no option thing - and just getting into the town from the Valley Road was a bloody nightmare.

We were stuck in a traffic jam for an hour from the St Cyprien direction, way past the college and out towards 'Toute pour le Maison', very hot, car fine but LOADS of tourists heading for the Saturday market. 

Chatting with a French couple later who had come in from the Soullac direction, they were an hour and fifteen minutes in hardly-moving traffic. 

Looks as though Sarlat is filling up even earlier than last year on Saturday market day - which now seems a good day to avoid.

If we have visitors who really want to go, we make sure that we arrive well before nine and then have our breakfast there. As far as I can see it's the only way to find a parking pace and avoid the traffic jams.

Hoddy

I can't imagine why anyone would want to go to Sarlat market in July or August. It's not just the crowds but the market positively blooms with tat. All sort of junk you could live without. Out of season it is a fine local market and you have the space to appreciate the architecture.

• 2 weeks later...
I can only remember vague details I'm afraid. I can't even remember which news paper I read it in. It will start somewhere around the recently closed down supermarket - the first cafe on the right as you head into town ( is it called Le Pontet ? ) will be demolished and the new road will go off to the left.

Sorry I can't remember more details - I'm in the UK at the moment so I can't even try to find the paper.

Hoddy

I am also in the UK now and don't have the info to hand. I too remember reading that the take away restaurant Le Pontet would be demolished and they would be starting works this October. However, they expect it to take 3 years to complete. One of the reasons is that they will be building a very large tunnel to run underground for less destruction and underneath the railway lines.

It should be a big help and hopefully change the traffic problems in Sarlat during July and August. Mind you, even during the winter months school run times can be a bit of a snarl so will help all year from what I can tell.

Had to go again today - left home at 8, there by 8.25, shopping and admin stuff all done by 11 - by which time, seems like there was NO parking left anywhere near the town and the place was full of bloody tourists.

Took the Les Eyzies road back and cut down through Meyrals to St Cyprien - hardly any traffic on it, seems the best way for the locals to be travelling.

It is funny isn't it that the minute you leave Sarlat and of course Les Eyzies all the roads in the whole of the area seem deserted. It is always a shock to the system when I go into Sarlat, I usually stay on the  outskirts during the summer if I need to go to one of the larger super markets. However, must admit, perhaps a sickness [:)] do like getting caught up in the excitement from time to time.