Hiring a truck

Does anybody know if its possible to hire commercial vehicles like a small pickup in the Bealiue-sur-Dordogne region? (46) As usual, I've not managed to get my firewood delivered in time and am going to have to go and collect 4 cubic metres of wood myself. I will be in a hire car so won't have a towbar otherwise I would rent/borrow a trailer.

I have hired a pick-up truck from the tool hire shop at La Croix Blanche (between Bretenoux and St-Céré, just after Point P).

They have several sizes available and special wek-end rates too.

I had a small Mercedes tipper truck with drop sides (hopes that makes sense!) and we used it to collect wood.

From memory, we paid about €100 + refundable security deposit and returned it with a full tank, as supplied.

Update 11/10/06: according to my records, the rental was €162 for the weekend.

I used to have an arrangement with an old local-ish farmer, who used to sell his own wood to supplement his pension (or for 'pocket money' as he put it) and my neighbour used to get his and my wood from the old man's farm on his tractor + v. large trailer, 2 trips in total for 16 stères at a cash price of €27/stère.

The neighbour was unable to collect that time and, with the old man hinting at another buyer in order to raise his price, we decided to collect ourselves. The total cost came to €660 for 17m3 including truck hire and diesel, so €39/stère.

We now get bales of offcuts from our local woodyard, for cash too, delivered and unloaded at the house. We have to get a truckload at a time and it does need cutting, as the bales are 2m long. The last delivery cost €400 and we had approximately 26-28 stères, so about €15/stère.