Flys in the Dordogne

I am in 24 near Perigueux and have not had many flies this year or any other except within the organic waste composting bin which are fruit flies finishing off the peelings etc.

Where were you to find so many flies - I like spiders so could do with some. A Wasp Spider had today set up a beautiful web on our composter to catch the fruit flies that manage to get out.

flies are a fact of life in the country in the southwest of france in the summer. i don,t know about other areas. its just a matter of putting up with them outside and buying fly screens for the windows. or carry a flyswat with you permanently

[quote user="sandt"]

flies are a fact of life in the country in the southwest of france in the summer. i don,t know about other areas. its just a matter of putting up with them outside and buying fly screens for the windows. or carry a flyswat with you permanently

[/quote]

I prefer one of those electric fly bats, the crack when you get a fly in mid air is most satisfying.  Friends of ours presented one to our local cafe and the resident fly population is much reduced as a result.

Found a dead young badger in a ditch on the lane that I walk daily. Flies were landing on it the first day and obviously laying eggs- after a week its abdomen was seething with what looked like fine wood chippings - it was a mass of maggots and the rear legs were already eaten to the bone.

Apart from the stink there will soon be a few thousand more flies. The birds will be happy and also the lizards.

[quote user="Dog"]Think it's about 12 days now and as there was no smell I took a peek at the dead badger. Just its rib cage sitting on a bed of fur and no flies in sight. Very efficient these flies.[/quote]

Dog, I am reading a creepy book at the moment "Body Double" by Tess Gerritsen and this reminds me very much of the young fellow at the beginning. Only just started it a few days ago so will let you know how he turns out.[:D]

There was an old lady who swallowed a dog.

What a hog! To swallow a dog!

She swallowed the dog to catch the cat...

She swallowed the cat to catch the bird ...

She swallowed the bird to catch the spider

That wriggled and jiggled and wiggled inside her.

She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.

But I dunno why she swallowed that fly

Perhaps she'll die.

Maybe she does not have sufficient cover.

Somewhere in my boxes of books and stuff stored in the barn I have a great poem from a compilation I published for the poetry club I used to help run. It was written by a satanist who was later exposed by the News of the World.

But I cannot find it... so here follows another...

The Fly and I

The fly follows me wherever I go, he’s the only one.

Morning noon or night he finds me when I’m still.

Frustrating am I as I move from place to place.

Food in the kitchen, but apparently I am more delicious.

I watch him as he crawls from one spot to another.

This fly, that loves my skin, checking every inch.

His tiny feet tickle me in my more delicate places.

I swear he was blinking at me just an hour ago.

This fly, should I swat it before I go to bed tonight?

Should I let him live, he’s kinda cute in a buggy way.

Attentive as he is he finds me whereever I am.

If he bugs me tonight, swat, I swear, out he will go!

Kate Clifford