Cost of stere of oak in the Dordogne?

We just had a delivery here in SE Dordogne of 4 stere of oak for 53 euros per stere including free delivery if you order a minimum of 4 stere.Our gardener gave us a price (after we placed an order) of 45 euros per stere for 10 stere.

After looking at some past threads on this subject, it sounds as if this is very expensive. Would be interested to know what others pay in our area.

Thinking about it, if anyone can recommend a reliable gardner with a ride on would be great as well. [:)]

TonyF, what a kind thing to offer [:)]. This 4 stere will last us a through most of the winter I think. Perhaps someone else here will take you up on your very generous and kind offer.

Hastobe, it is not a fortune at 4 stere but still a big difference between 35 and 53 euros and more than the so called discount our gardener was going to give us at 45 euros for ordering 10 stere. Thank you for the information.  I didn't have a clue and will make a few calls next time we order.

Did you ask for the wood to be delivered pre-cut (as in ready to go into your fire/wood-burner)? If cut like this the cost goes up accordingly. We always get it in metre lengths and cut it up ourselves. By the end of the winter we can quite appreciate why they charge so much more to deliver it cut up small!

Make sure (especially if the price seems favourable) that the wood is dry enough for burning the year you buy it.

Happy burning!

Jane

Ours is cut to 1m - we have a pretty big (well huge) fireplace so 1m lengths are fine for us - but we could have had it cut to shorter lengths.  My understanding is you get less wood if it's cut shorter? The wood we had was dry and ready for burning.  Not sure who it was from though - our neighbours kindly arranged it for us when they ordered their wood.  I can ask for a contact name / telephone number?

Kathie

Hoddy, that is exactly where we got ours, Souletis at the old station in Sarlat. But she gave me the price of 53E instead of your 46E per stere [8-)]. She did give me a price of 45E for chestnut. I ordered oak cut to the size of 50cm and about 15cm thick. We haven't stacked it yet but some have been split and some are just smaller trees that are whole. They are meant to be two years old.

BobT that is amazing, it is interesting to see that there is such a variation.

That's a great deal, Bob. 

Does everyone buy wood already dried and ready to use (4-5 years stacked and dried under a tarp before use) or does anyone buy green wood and keep it until it is ready?  Around here if you buy green it is between 5 -10 euros  a stère cheaper.  The ready to use stuff is 38 euros per stère for oak and chestnut cut to 50cm and

delivered.  So we've been buying some of each this year and eventually plan to be just buying green.

PS The suppliers are talking about prices going up next year as they've been the same here for good while now.

Well, I am going to use the royal "we" here [:)], we just got through stacking the wood and most of it is bigger than the 15cm wide as promised. Many of the logs may be about that size on the ends but they swell up in the centre to perhaps twice that size. So much for paying for split wood, it looks as if "we" will have to split most of it anyway.[:@]