Tax authority require copy of carte vitale

CeeJay

Having completed and sent the tax return for my wife and I in exactly the same manner as last year, which was the first time, I have now received a letter from the tax office in Montpellier asking for a copy of our carte vitale. I did enter in Box V111 on Form 2047 that I was the holder of an S1 and therefore exempt from social charges but it seems that proof is now required. Is this a normal enquiry?

I have heard that some tax offices are asking for a copy of the S1 to prove one is not a la charge of the French SS system

This seems to have come about this year because of a change in the way social charges are now collected and how income liable to these charges are now declared on the tax form

Hi

At a meeting held in Normandy to help Brits to fill in their Tax Returns this year, they were told they should enclose a copy of the S1 with their Tax Return. If you didn't have a copy, you were advised to get another copy from UK. My friend did this and the UK office (I think Newcastle, but not sure?) were incredibly efficient and said they would send 2, just in case. These arrived within 4 days! I think they must have been asked for this before!

My friend had put a note on the form to say he was a holder of the S1 and therefore not 'a la charge' but they still wanted a copy of the S1.

Laurier

I had kept copies and sent them with the tax return as this is our first S1 year. It will be interesting to see if they want a copy every year as obviously the form is the same one and doesn't get updated. I wonder if there is a bit of confusion at tax offices around the S1 (E106) as this obviously is time-limited.

Is this the start of checking that people who are in one system are in the other?

For instance we know people who are registered for tax purposes who are not in the health system and rely on "emergency" treatment or visiting a doctor when they are back in the UK.

[quote user="Benjamin"]Is this the start of checking that people who are in one system are in the other?

For instance we know people who are registered for tax purposes who are not in the health system and rely on "emergency" treatment or visiting a doctor when they are back in the UK.

[/quote]

And I certainly know people (now back in the UK) pre-2007 who had fully functioning cartes vitales but who were registered for tax in neither country!