PECHARMONT

Pécharmant is OK but I've not yet come across anything really special. Anyway, here you go:

http://www.pays-de-bergerac.com/pages/vins/index.asp

&

http://www.pays-de-bergerac.com/vins/cave-cooperative-bergerac-fleix/index.asp

:

70 boulevard Joseph Santraille

24100 Bergerac

Tél : 05.53.57.16.27

Fax : 05.53.24.57.47

[quote]It has such a distinctive taste due to the high iron content of the soil.[/quote]

There are plenty of other places with high iron content (e.g. Marcillac) but perhaps the most obvious one (certainly the most famous and the most distinctive but as different from Pécharmant as is Monbazillac) is Tokaj in Hungary.

Ah! Pécharmant!... Yummy!

Runs in the family ... Intravinously I could even say.... My dear siss-in-law (married to my parisian brother) her parents own a little vineyard there and produce their own wine... and many a bottle I have drunk of the stuff... Can't go to my brother's place without having uncorked a bottle or two...  Their advertising leaflet is bilingual French/English... care of yours truly [:$] ....Sorry not allowed to advertise which vineyard  ....  

Thanks for the info chessfou it looks like the place is in Bergerac. I was expecting it to be in one of the villages.  The reason that I wanted to know where the co-operative was is because I fancied trying the ' Petrol Pump Percharmont ',  Maybe there there is a vinyard in the Percharmant area that does it ? . One day when all the jobs are done I will have a drive and see what I can find.   

Sound interesting. Le Fleix is no where near where the Pechamont area that I know of, which is within Bergac but to the North east extending about 5 kms from Bergerac itself. You are way out to the North west! I must get over that way and see.

Tried a bottle of Domaine des Bertranoux 2001 the other day. It was fine but nothing special - I* would rate it 13 on the RvF scale (12-13.5 = "vin correct").

*Nothing from Pécharmant makes it into the 2007 RvF Classement. Gerbelle & Maurange (2007 ed) come close to being positively rude about the wines (although they did end up suggesting four that cost €10 or less). Any suggestions from the supporters for something special?