planning permission

[kiss]  Hi,I'm a newbie on here and just wondered if anyone out there could give my husband and I some advice about some land that we have bought,the land is in the Limousin and is 3 acres with a 1 acre lake,when we went to view the land we fell in love with it at first sight,we asked the estate agent with us if there was any chance of getting planning permission as it was deemed non constructable,she said no as it was outside the village perimeter (its about 100 yrds from the last house there),my husband then asked how come there was a house next to the land away from the village,she said she didnt know the house was there(it is set well back and can only be seen if you really stretch up),she then phoned the office and said did they know there was a house next to the land,they said no and if there was then we would stand a good chance of getting planning permission as the house next to the land set a precidence,we thought about the purchase for a few weeks during which time the estate agent told us that he could guarantee us getting the neccessary permission as he was good friends with the Mairie.We decided to buy the land and the sale went through in about 4 months,when we went to sign the final contract my husband asked the notaire his opinion on getting the necessary permission and he said he couldnt see a problem.To cut a long story short we have just applied to the Mairie only to be told there is no chance of getting a CU on the land as it is to quote him 'uniquely non constructable'.My question is is there any more we can do to get the permission, I know in England there are companies that will try to get the necessary permission and wondered if anyone knows of the same type of companies in France.Our friends in France are disgusted with the agent and the notaire but as we said we took a chance and seem to have lost but we will try anything to get the CU if at all possible.

Would be grateful for any suggestions and help anyone can give us (if not does anyone want to buy a beautiful piece of land with a lake !! ) just joking.  [Www]         

".........we thought about the purchase for a few weeks during which time the estate agent told us that he could guarantee us getting the neccessary permission as he was good friends with the Mairie."

Jetski what a disappointing and sad situation. Obviously in this case the "guarantees" were not given in writing. A bit of a long shot but would it be worth appealing to the DDE?

For anyone else who is  in a similar set-up and about to purchase land in France then do put a clause or two into the contract.

Aye, sadly agents have been known to be overly optomistic at best and porky tellers at worst. [:(]

I would noise up the agent, as either he lied, or took a "she'll be right" type attitude and a risk with your money.

While, if nothing is in writing, its worth the paper it's written on, you don't have much to loose from pestering him and pointing out your expense due to his cavalier attitude and ask HIM how HE is going to help you.

Failing that, you should speak to a lawyer.

Good luck

Jetski - sorry to read of your plight that so clearly shows the "caveat emptor" aspects of buying in France. Perhaps "yes you will easily/definitely get planning permission" should be added to the 3 biggest lies in the world.

On a postive note, approach the DDE to get their views, the Maire does not always have as much power as he likes to pretend.  In our hamlet a farmer neighbour found the Maire to be co-operative and DDE difficult so who knows? Alternatively you bought on the strength of worthless guarantees so find another *** via Channel 4 and sell on the same basis.

John

not

Jetski wrote:

"... we asked the estate agent with us if there was any chance of

getting planning permission as it was deemed non constructable, she said

no ..."

Which is why the price was what it was. Three acres + lake + CU would have cost a lot more.

"Would be grateful for any suggestions"

Don't use a jetski on the lake or you'll never get permission!

I agree with John and Blancheneige - the DDE is the place to go:  Dept.d'Equipement. I think they can overrule the Maire. So if they say no it's no. Unless you speak french well take someone with you who can. Pat.

If all else fails....Are you able to build a wooden chalet type of building in France without planning permission?

I know you can in England. They're not very expensive either.

Might not be quite what you had planned but.....

Hi

We bought a very similar property but had the clause entered into the compromis that the sale would only complete if full planning was obtained.  It's too late for you now to do this of course but in our case the permission has been given.  We were advised to seek out an architect who is associated with the local DDE, architects work part time for the DDE in these parts, they work say 1 day per week per small DDE and the rest of the time they have a private practice.  We therefore ended up using the architect who would have the job of approving, in effect, his own plans this way you know they are going to put a plan in with a good chance of being approved. 

Others have written on here that an architect is worth their weight in gold with regard to what can and can't be done within the contraints imposed, in you shoes I would seek out the local architect and gets his/her opinion on your chances.  It's worth another try.  As others have said there are lots of lakes and land for sale with no planning and the price is at least half of the price for the same plot with planning so whilst you may feel that you've been duped I expect that the price you've paid reflects in part the restrictions as it was originally thought non contructable.. 

Good luck with it.

"Would be grateful for any suggestions and help anyone can give us (if not does anyone want to buy a beautiful piece of land with a lake !! ) just joking"

Jetski

If all else fails would you be able to buy a small house nearby so that at least you could visit and make use of your lovely lake and surrounding land. I would be tempted to go and camp there from time to time just to relish the feeling of owning some beautiful unspoilt countryside.

Think positive [:)] it helps!

[kiss]        Hi again, thanks to everyone who has replied we will certainly be getting in touch with an architect with a view to speaking with the DDE ,if that fails then at least we have somewhere to go for camping holidays,once again thanks to everyone as we hadn't thought of the DDE,here's hoping, fingers crossed I'll let you know what happens.

P.S. my husband has just suggested trying to buy the house next door as a last resort !! [:$]