Strange weather?

Whilst counting down the days to our next visit to our place in France (in 31) I normally look at the weather on Meteofrance. What I normally see are symbols depicting lightning and rain. In our many visits last year looking for a house we usually had good weather. Is this year a little strange or was last year?

Paul

Hi

We live in 31.

It's this year that's a bit not right...we are told by French friends that once in every 7-10 years it's like this in the spring - but this year it's lasting much longer than usual as it should have improved by the full moon...

At this time we normally start shutting doors and closing shutters to keep the heat out - but this year we would still like to have the fire going (but think it's just too chicken to do so).

And no let-up yet in sight!  I'm not looking forward to 2014!

As Hoddy said, the weather here is truly appalling at the moment.  This morning it's cold, dank, grey and cold with a heavy mist along the Dordogne and Nauze valleys.

The ground is either too wet or too cold to plant anything, lots of dampening off in gardens, we have even had the chauffage on for the last week and neighbour has started to use her insert again.  Locals here saying it's so unusual, farmers are grumbling (nothing new there tho), general horrible.

Lots of storms and electricity outages as well.

The long cold period has been unusual for us and, although the temperature has gone up now, we've had to use the woodburner in the evenings to get rid of the feeling of damp that seems to penetrate everywhere.

Thunderstorms are still brewing and the constant drizzle is quite depressing...

Yes there has been so much rain. Sorry to say it but you will get a shock when you see how much the grass has grown at your house. I haven't forgotten about the book and have sent you a private message. Pat.

[quote user="Patf"]Yes there has been so much rain. Sorry to say it but you will get a shock when you see how much the grass has grown at your house. I haven't forgotten about the book and have sent you a private message. Pat.[/quote]

Thankfully someone is cutting it for us - so no need for pith helmets and elephnant guns

Paul

PS no hurry for the book Pat - thanks

Since Easter we seem to have had our winters worth of heavy rainstorms......we are in the midst of one now!

I was out in the car an hour ago in temps of 28 degrees, as I was driving back home it was dropping huge blobs of rain and now the village is like a river.

A massive thunderstorm has gone over, blackening the sky and throwing strokes of lightning right above us! Humidity is at 76% but thankfully the temperature is back to a reasonable 20°.

No electricity for most of the afternoon (I watched a DVD on the laptop!)

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

...... neighbour has started to use her insert again.... 

[/quote]

Those few words paint an interesting picture Tony !!

Every year since we came to France features worst weather since God was a boy

2003 hottest/driest ever

2004 most strong winds

2006 deepest snow

2007 wettest/longest spring/early summer

But then we live in a farming area.

John

not

Meanwhile in the Tarn whilst Meg is having her own wet t-shirt competition I am at war with the massive armies of slug and snails that keep invading my little 'potager'.  Have you ever seen so many in your life?  All my friends gardens are ruined.  I am now resorting to little yogurt pots of beer. 

For me not the slugs[:D]

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Meanwhile in the Tarn whilst Meg is having her

own wet t-shirt competition I am at war with the massive armies of slug

and snails that keep invading my little potager'. 

Have you ever seen so many in your life?  All my friends gardens are

ruined.  I am now resorting to little yogurt pots of beer. 

For me not the slugs[:D]

[/quote]

As the only competitor 

i won easily......[:D].....i think a storm is now brewing..........can't

wait, i want to go out and get soaked in the rain. I feel in the mood for a

really cracking storm!

As for slugs.......yep loads here too!

Here the rain has held off long enough for the grass to dry out and for me to finish cutting it.And the skies are still clear. But the wheat crops around here have been ruined by the rain. Someone said that it's due to a "maladie" caused by the wet weather. Pat.