swimming pool covers

Hi - wondered if anyone could help, please!  Have recently bought a house in Gers with a pool which needs a cover for winter.  Does anyone know where we can purchase one?  Also, has anyone had one of those seemingly very expensive all-year-round covers fitted?  Are they worth the money and any ideas on cost and a local company to supply/fit one?  Many thanks.

Hi Dreamer and welcome to the forum. If you have no pool cover at all at the moment then I suggest you do a search on this forum under 'Anfor regulations' or 'swimming pool security' , where you shoud find lots of posts on this subject. As of 1/1/06 all pools in France were required to have safety measures in place to prevent child drownings. Amongst the approved options available were pool alarms, fencing and pool covers. If you have no other safety measures in place as yet and are contemplating a cover I would suggest you consider getting an Anfor approved cover.  Any good pool supply shop should be able to order one for you from the manufacturer.

[quote user="dreamer"] Also, has anyone had one of those seemingly very expensive all-year-round covers fitted?  Are they worth the money and any ideas on cost and a local company to supply/fit one?  Many thanks.[/quote]

Not sure what you have in mind here, but if you mean an abri, bear in mind that you should achieve a discount of some 30% if you deal direct with a manufacturer such as Abrisud, rather than a local pool store.

Cost depends on size, but maybe 7000€ for a 9 * 4 metre pool.

A roller cover would maybe cost you around 3000€ but is unlikely to help heat the water.

Hi - guess I should have been more specific!  Have a pool alarm at present but it appears to be very sensitive and goes off loads bugging our poor neighbours to death!  We definitely need a cover for the winter once we shut the pool down but weren't sure if it would be more cost effective to get one of the roller covers to use in winter and summer as security and get rid of the alarm.  Our pool is 12 x 6 (which is lovely when swimming!) but is obviously going to cost a bit to cover.  Thanks again for all your help - its great to have found this forum.  Will search the forum too.

As you'll see if you do read previous posts there is quite a lot of discussion as to the effectiveness of pool alarms, at one point I think there was a question of their continuing to be considered as a compliant means of security. The security cover may be worth it in the long run.

Hi Toni - thanks again.  Have had a good look at previous discussions and we have pretty much decided that a pool cover will be a good investment.  The alarms are obviously a real pain and I guess are a cheap alternative.  As ever, we continue to 'live and learn'!