a surveyor

LesFlamands

A remark like yours has been posted elsewhere.  As I have explained, a builder might well be able to give you useful information.  He is also pitching for the work and, at least in the UK, he would be a MOST unusual builder if he is slightly more than semi-literate and can "read" plans (sorry, if you are a builder and is fully literate)!

Also, unless he is a member of the Institute of Chartered Builders, he has no professional body to monitor his work and, if it all goes pear-shaped, he might just wind up his company (only to start up again under another name) and leave you in the lurge.

In my opinion, there is no substitute for proper, professional advice (backed up by a professional body to which you can take your complaints, if any).  Buying a house is likely to be the most expensive purchase you are likely to make and the fees of a professional is only a tiny percentage of the purchase costs.

As they say, you pays your money and you makes your choice.

Hi Jon,

Here is the RICS website where you can look for surveyors in France.  Hopefully, you will find one near to you.  It is a requirement of RICS that all surveyors carried a Personal Indemnity Insurance should any advice given to clients be incorrect and have a detrimental effect on any decision making.  www.rics.org/

If you look in the left hand column, you will see "Find a Surveyor".

Yes of course a good builder knows most of the relevant information.

I am looking for a property expert..ie a surveyor...

I am very sorry to say that I have not had good experiences with British building work and often ....not always...they leave the country  for reasons other than a change of air.

I have recomendations for buiders and possibly I will employ a maitres d hoevres....wrong spelling?

My move to France is not on a whim ...purchasing a holday home or a rental project...it is to ebjoy a life style which I have been examining for years.I need to have the stability of a good property with equaly good potential and then I should be able to create the picture which I am painting.

Research....asking around  gets me there......gets us all there...thats the reason for this forum.

If you'd rather have personal recommendation, have you tried asking the notaire or perhaps enquire at your Mairie?  You could also ask the estate agent (if you're buying from one).  You are so right; you need good professional advice.  Mistakes made with house purchase can be very expensive indeed.  Good luck with your search.