what do i bring?

Hi all

At long last we are ready to move over to France.  We are hoping to rent a house in Aveyron ( 12 ) in November, i have emailed the owner who has been very helpful with imformation about local hospitals, my daughter-in-law is pregnant and baby due in march. The poor girl is scared stiff about having first baby in France but from what i'v heard so far there won't be a roblem for her as long as we get medical insurance.

I'm now panicing over other things, well not exactly panicing, but wondering, about what i should bring over with me.

I know that the voltage is different from here so is it wort bringing electrical things over with us ie: washing mashine,kitchen equipment,T.V.

What sort of clothes can i get over there ( silly question i know ). Do i need to bring complete wardrobes for all of us, i'v got 2 young childeren.

Do any of you live near there so if i get stuck i can shout for help [;-)]

Sandy x

Electricals - if you've got them, bring them but don't go out and buy them specially. All our stuff works, just change the plugs.

Clothes - my wife drools over the quality, range and cheapness of clothes for her grand-daughters (5 and 3 I think). For you I'd rather not risk making any comments.We haven't found an equivalent of Matalan though the supermarkets seem to have plenty of cheap and cheerful. You may find it a tad fresh in 12 in the winter so don't forget the fur lined undies.

Medical stuff - you should have heard by now that things are up in the air as regards non-working Brit immigrants so check, check, check though it's a bit late for your d-i-l to undo that which has already happened.

If you ask the right questions in the right way you will find loads of people willing and able to help you on this forum despite their not living on yr doorstep. I only venture into 12 when I go to Rodez airport so cannot help on the extent of Brit ghettos.

John

and

[quote user="sandy"]

I know that the voltage is different from here so is it wort bringing electrical things over with us ie: washing mashine,kitchen equipment,T.V.

[/quote]

The voltage is exactly the same. TVS - you need to make sure that the tuner can receive Secam transmissions - most of the modern ones from major manufacturers can.

Paul

[quote]just change the plugs.[/quote]

Quicker and easier is to come armed with a sufficient quantity of 3-2 pin converters. On sale (at exhorbitant prices) at all airports and ferry ports but you should be able to find job lots of 20 (probably enough) on ebay for £20-25 the lot inc. postage.

We're still using almost all of them ('cos it means we can use our old UK extension blocks - one 3-2 converter on the end of the extension block and then plug in your UK items to the UK block).

[quote user="chessfou"][quote]just change the plugs.[/quote]

Quicker and easier is to come armed with a sufficient quantity of 3-2 pin converters. On sale (at exhorbitant prices) at all airports and ferry ports but you should be able to find job lots of 20 (probably enough) on ebay for £20-25 the lot inc. postage.

We're still using almost all of them ('cos it means we can use our old UK extension blocks - one 3-2 converter on the end of the extension block and then plug in your UK items to the UK block).
[/quote]Far cheaper to buy a french plug and splice it onto the end of the UK socket gangs! 3 minute job, even for me.

Fit a French plug-the converters are Ok for shavers but on any higher loading-downright dangerous-tho' they show EC markings most are "Made in China" and have never gone near any European checking authority and will certainly invalidate your insurance.

On the subject of plugs/sockets buy youself a polarity checker and check every socket in the house. You will almost certainly find one or two where neutral and live are reversed.

Caravan accessory shops sell them and they are not expensive.

I thought the voltage was different too??

Either way, we have friends who've been using their entire UK kitchen appliance collection for three years and haven't had a prob!

Clothes from the supermarkets are fine, especially for kids. Kiabi, la halle, Gemo, monoprix and all that are great too.

They even have C+A over here!

Have you got all your forms? E106, E301 etc etc. There have been some changes I believe, so get up to date: numbers are on the forum faq's. Birth certs etc too.