Where did you move to in SW France

Hi All,

Sue and I moved here to Le Mas, a very small commune of Degagnac 15 minutes from Gourdon in 46, came here originally with our Springer (English not Welsh) joke....but alas she is now buried in our wood where she was at her happiest. By the way I am the only FAT Sod in our village......not genetic either.....Our French neighbours when learning that the UK had won the 2012 Olympics proudly told us that Paris had won the Gay Olympics....I tried to explain that we had always referred to their capital as 'Gay' Paris but for different reasons......We have no hang ups about peoples preferences here in Le Mas.....mind you some of the locals some of the locals look a bit 'sheepish'....I guess the Welsh among us would have an opinion on that...LOL. "Keep on keeping on"

best regards to ALL

Dave in the Lot

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ron, Griff and Kathryn are going to view properties in your area on 7th/8th/9th march. Could you sell my your part of france? We are so fed up with uk, I visited an area south of Tolouse 2 weeks ago with my cousin who is buying a place there. The prices are a bit steep in his area ( hes a pilot I'm not) but its a beautiful country. I'm in the building trade (failed business) so a new start with 4 kids we think is in the offering. Kathryn is a teacher and we are exited. Look forward to hear from you or anyone else with advice. We are also looking at downshifting so the money hungry big business's can make an obscene frofit from someone else, ( but I'm not bitter)

• 2 weeks later...

Have spent a lovely Sunday afternoon reading this forum thread. Great fun to read.

Me (together with my four children and, de temps en temps, my husband)? In the Medoc (33) part time.  Don't seem to be many of us Brits hanging out in the Medoc, home of fine wine etc.  Is that why I can't pick up a Daily Telegraph in the area?!

[quote user="Meduse"]

A tiny hamlet with just 21 houses on the Sault plateau between Lavelanet, Ax and Quillan. It's a beautiful area.

Meduse

[/quote]

Hi Meduse, whereabouts on the Plateau are you? I often tour round Espezel/Belcaire/Axat etc. Love watching the birds of Prey up there.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, i have just signed up to Living france and having read through all the replies, everyone seems so friendly out there. We have a plave 5 minutes from St Jean de duras in Lot et Garonne in a hamlet called Mouyne on the d19. We have owned the house for 3 years[:D] and come to France every school holiday. We have 3 years, 3 months, 26 days, 14 hours, 20 mins etc etc etc  left in the UK before we can move permanantly, not that I'm counting. Is there anyone out there near us???

Hi, Katie. We're near you both in England and France. We've had a house at Moustier, just down from St Jean de Duras for three years now. We get thet there every school holiday too - just sorting out next week's trip.

We've just put the house in Lytham on the market and when that's gone we're off for good.

• 4 months later...
We are thinking of moving to the Dordogne, some agents have told me this week to avoid it like the plauge as too many english, oversaturated market and prices are starting to fall as the english are moving back to UK - is this really true???

The Dordogne is a very large region, and yes, some areas are 'plagued' by Brits but not all. There are some people that I know of that have/are moving back to the UK but that's not necessarily a regional thing.  According to last weeks local paper house prices are rising but someone in the immo trade locally may be able to give more info on that. Generally the Dordogne is a more expensive region which is why it got the nickname 'Dordogneshire' - like the home counties around London.

Re the 'dampness' - we get (in the NW of the region anyway which is why it's called Périgord Vert) just as much rain as southern UK but we tend to get it all at once in heavy downpours rather than constant greyness and moderate rain.

• 5 months later...
Hi, I did up a village house and opened and ran a restaurant in Caylus 'L'Auberge de la Rue Droite'  from 1984 - 1988 with my French wife. I believe it's still there but it's gone steadily downhill since we sold. Now in Montauban with another house self renovated and running 2nd restaurant 'Le Quetzal' since 88. Also involved in antipub activities in Montauban that you may be aware of.  Hope you like Caylus. We were very well received  but moved on to Montauban as the winter trade was not brisk enough. Tony

• 3 weeks later...

[quote user="Derkins"]Thats helpful, we are thinking of moving near to Jumilhac, anyone in this area who could let me know what its like living there day to day?
[/quote]

Hi Derkins,

Did you buy your place in Jumilhac - we live just 8k away from Jumilhac in a lovely little commune called Saint Priest les Fougeres and we love it here. Let me know what sort of things you'd like to know and I'll try to give you some answers, they will obviously be very biased though!

We came to France for the first time about 4 years ago to visit relatives and fell in love with the Dordogne - It has all the beauty of  Wales with the added plus of  definate seasons (usually).

Wish it would stop raining so I can get back to work on my veg patch.

Have just discovered this forum having been directed from another (gardening )forum - we are in St.Gery - on the River Lot - east of Cahors - had the house for 15 years for holidays but have now (last June)  retired here (although we are going to London for two weeks tomorrow)- interested in self sufficiency, writing, painting, food, drink, walking.

anyone else out there in the Lot Valley?

"Not in my backyard" is alive and kicking en France!! Many English people are often heard as saying, "Not more english moving in". Unless you pick an area of France that no one else will find attractive, you will always be surrounded by a high percentage of Brits.

Move to where you feel is right for you, no matter who lives there or their original nationality. Visit the area, get a feel for it and then decide, taking anyones word for it is not the way to go about it in all honesty.

Anyone who has actually lived or lives in France at all, should tell you that you WILL need Brits around you to learn and discover things from their experiences. 

Also remember, you WILL always be an Englishman abroad. The same as the Kumars on TV (who aspire to be more English than the English), some Brits are (or try to be) more French than the French, personally, this type personally, deserve to be avoided them like the plague!

Simply because an area has a high number of residential English, does not mean that you have to associate with them should you not wish, choice as always is your own. If you do not want to get involved with the English cricket club set or the local English quiz nights, you wont, wherever you choose to live, the same as in the UK. 

I would not let a beautiful area, where it is pleasant to live, be a no no area for living simply because there is a large number of any one nationality residing there.

Hello to everyone.

We have a little holiday house in the Correze in a village near  Uzerche, we bought it

over 5 years ago.

We are looking  for a larger property in and around Jonzac and will be moving out full time

next year, we want to view some properties this August.

Shane, Carole and Kai 

We bought a holiday cottage in Jumilhac Le Grand just over two years ago and love coming out to recharge the batteries.

Through caravanning in various locations in France, we fell in love with the countryside, the food, the chateaux and the weather!

We had planned to move out permanently this year, but have had to change our plans for family reasons. We will get there eventually.

We come as often as possible and would very much like to meet anyone else from the forum in the vicinity.

Caroline

• 2 weeks later...