Montpellier, Nimes or Avignon?

I've never visited this part of France before and will be staying in August in a little village called Fabrezan (let me know what it's like if you've been)

We will be flying into Nimes that day before our holiday rental starts so we have the opportunity to stop over for 1 night at either Montpellier, Nimes or Avignon.

Can anyone sugegst which one to visit and why?

many thanks in Adv

ICW

ICW ............

First of all, forget Avignon.  Wrong way (though not necessarily a problem), but a complete 'zoo' in August.  Full of tourists.  I avoid it like the plague at that time.

Nimes: good, but maybe a bit too close for where you're heading.

Montpellier: good too, but straight off a plane in a hire car and trying to navigate the city centre on a Friday late-afternoon.  Bad news.

If it was me, I'd be looking at none of those 3 above.  Beziers, Narbonne, or overshooting a bit to Carcassonne would be my suggestion. People like Peter will spot this and they know far more about that area than me.  Maybe Beziers & save the others for when you're there?

p.s. At Nimes a/pt, leave the family to get the baggage off the carousel and dart out to the hire car desk smart-ish. Front or close to the front of the queue, 30 mins saved.  Nobody will stop you walking back in to the baggage hall. 

And having thought about it, another good reason for getting 'a bit down the road', would be Saturday morning traffic in August.

The A9 isn't too clever from teatime Fri - late Sat (at that time of the year). Not a bad idea to have got past Montpellier (wherever you decide to stay) by late afternoon Friday.

Equally, allow plenty of time Sat morning on your return to the apt (if that's your return day).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We have a propert towards Clermont l'Herault and sometimes fly into Nimes or Montpellier to go there.  I like both Montpellier and Nimes. Don't know Avignon but hear it is lovely. Nimes has the Roman ampitheatre which is worth a look around and you can drive north to Pont du Gard (beautiful roman aquaduct and swimming on the river -  nice to relax on the 'beach' and swim or hire a boat if you like that). I think given where you are going eventually (nearer Carcassone?) and your available time I'd go to the city of Montpellier - it is lovely in the 'old' part, although awful to park at that time of year so drive carefully, park carefully or do a park and ride (tram).  Lovely buildings to browse around, restaurants to get fixed price meal, parks - good use of a day. You can then drive to the beach area if you have time, for a contrast. (If windy watch out as sand gets everywhere)  If in doubt look at the books for the area.

Have a lovely time

Not that far from Avignon (to the north) is Orange.  I remember staying there one year and I think that it has the highest Roman wall in Europe (against which some resistance members were shot).  I recall it being a charming place, with several places where you could dine out.

I like Avignon, especially in the evening.  It has a lovely atmosphere and everything is named after the Nine Popes who broke away from the church or something like that.  Palais de Papes, Place de Papes, Pont de Papes etc etc.

[quote user="Cathy"]I like Avignon, especially in the evening.  It has a lovely atmosphere [/quote]

Yes Cathy, it's a nice place, but not (I would suggest) the best place to turn up at on an August evening when you don't know the town / places to park / better places to eat.  OK, that's true of anywhere you might turn up at and the little problems can be part of the fun. However, Avignon is best kept for a time when you're not just a couple of hours off an aeroplane, a bit tired and wanting a gentle civilised evening.  

Avignon scary ?????

Why ?

We live 20 minutes from Avignon, visit it a lot, lovely place. Parking easy, great atmosphere and restos and i have never found it to be like a zoo,  even during the festival. Try the eastern side, away from the tourists, around the university, prices down 20/30% on Place d'Horloge.

Rgds Wilko

LOL

I know, it's strange isn't it? Something about those funny little back streets. I always used to feel slightly surprised to get back to where I'd parked my car and find it still there. A bit like Marseille in a way. Alot of crime around Avignon. Remember 2 or 3 years ago, a young couple sitting by the river (fishing? don't remember) and a guy comes up and asks for a cigarette or something, dosen't get one, so goes away and comes back with an axe and splits the bloke's skull open, steals his motor bike and escapes. They got him later tho'.

Maybe someone remembers more details?

I've always found the place a bit creepy, don't know why.

er...I hope I haven't wrecked the thread....

Hi

I would head off towards your destination, and continue early (ish !) the next morning.

If you are arriving late, I'd think about Nimes itself, or Aigues Mortes. LE MAS DES SABLES  http://www.lemasdessables.com/uk/geo.html  just outside Aigues Mortes is nice, but you would need a taxi (or drive) into the walled city to eat.

Montpellier is an interesting place to stop. Best to stay on the South side near the tram, and go in on the tram - the centre can be difficult because it is mostly pedestrianised or confusing one way streets.

Sete is a bustling seaside resort / port with many hotels & restaurants.

My choice would be Bouzigues. It is a south facing fishing village on Etang de Thau. It is very close to the A9 and small enough to park and walk everywhere. La Cote Bleue has private parking and a good restaurant : http://www.la-cote-bleue.fr

List of local hotels.

Bonne chance

Peter