Angouleme Airport Car Hire

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me - I am booking flights on the new Ryanair route to Angouleme from London Stansted and by looking at the Angouleme airport website all the car rental companies shut by 5pm - the flight gets in at 8pm - anyone know anything about this that will help me book a car and there be someone there to give me the keys?

I'm very disappointed that some mod has deleted my post here after I had searched out the info on Google France.

There is a company at the airport which opens at 9.30am and closes at 10.00pm. I provided a link but that went with my post.

As someone else has been allowed to suggest Hertz as a possibility then I will suggest Europcar to you as a possibility. I have no connection with them nor does anyone else that I know. I expect if you search in Google with "europcar" and "angouleme aeroport" you will probably reach their site.

Good luck :).

[quote user="Cendrillon"]I think your answer was on the other posting about this (there were two)  and is probably still there.[/quote]

Oh yes, so it is [:$]

My apologies to the mods and my thanks to Cendrillon [:)].

My wife has just pointed out that as ever "if I have a choice of two I will always pick the wrong one"  [:(]

Thanks to Gemini Man for the links - I had saved them down to my PC.  Posting my thread in two different places has

given me two totally different dimensions to my request - all were extremely good advice and from different angles -

so a big thanks to all.  If ok with the moderators I will post my findings as I am sure I will not be the only person querying

this as the season starts.  Running a gite rental business its important I get the correct information for my clients I am sure you

will agree.  [:D]

Paula 24

Re: Angouleme Airport Car Hire

Gemini_man wrote:

I'm very disappointed that some mod has deleted my post here after I had searched out the info on Google France.

Your post is here: http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1160314/ShowPost.aspx

Apology accepted!
One of the reasons starting several threads with the same question is discouraged...

Clair, a Real Virtual French Person

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I frequently rent from Hertz at Angouleme and arrive out of hours (lunchtimes/evenings). The friendly folks in the office opposite Angouleme rail station either meet the train or leave the keys for collection in one of the adjacent hotels. Very pleasant and genuine people all round and a good service. Let's hope the same philosophy extends to the agency at the new airport.

Nick 

Hello

On the subject of car hire as I hire cars quite frequently I am always really annoyed by the extra daily  insurance charges to alleviate the ridiculously high excess charges.  For example I notice that on the site mentioned above, Buggs, you have to pay 9 euro's per day for their insurance plus which covers the excess charge of 750 euros.  They even include a clause in their contract that the driver is liable for all damage and loss of hire business so you are bound to feel compelled to shell out for the extra cover and I hate the way the hire companies pressure you as you pick up the car to take this insurance. 

I'm thinking I might take out one of the policies called Car Hire Insurance www.insurance4carhire.com/  which covers you annually and pays the excess of any claims for around £49 for the year, anyone else taken one out and had to claim? 

Panda

Hello Panda

Please get your facts right!!! You have obviously never hired from buggs.!

As a regular user of buggs car hire in Bergerac, and what a releief from the big car hire companies, I can confirm you do NOT have to pay the extra 9 euros per day insurance. This is just an optional extra you can take out when you make your booking, everyone is allowed to decide the level of risk they are willing to accept, and with buggs you decide when making your booking, not in the queue at the airport when you have no time to assess what you are buying.

With buggs you cannot add it on when you arrive and buggs make no attempt to sell you this, or any other extra, when you collect your car. The alternative hire companies offer this extra insurance only when you collect the car, their excess is also considerably higher as is the cost of the waiver insurance.

You obviously have some financial rewards from insurance 4 car hire, which is why you are advertising their services on a forum, I am surprised such a blatent advert was passed by the forum.

I am not sure when they are opening at Angouleme but contact me and I will be happy to forward the email address for you to find out.

[8-)] Funny, I didn't get the impression that Panda had any personal knowledge of this company; she seemed to me to be asking if anybody else had.

Anyway, Panda, my car insurer here in France (MAAF) also does this kind of insurance as an add on to my own policy - for car hire whilst on holiday.  It might be worth asking your own company if they do such a thing, as it can be cheaper adding it on to an existing policy, rather than working with a new company.

[quote user="Panda"]

Hello

On the subject of car hire as I hire cars quite frequently I am always really annoyed by the extra daily  insurance charges to alleviate the ridiculously high excess charges.  For example I notice that on the site mentioned above, Buggs, you have to pay 9 euro's per day for their insurance plus which covers the excess charge of 750 euros.  They even include a clause in their contract that the driver is liable for all damage and loss of hire business so you are bound to feel compelled to shell out for the extra cover and I hate the way the hire companies pressure you as you pick up the car to take this insurance. 

I'm thinking I might take out one of the policies called Car Hire Insurance www.insurance4carhire.com/  which covers you annually and pays the excess of any claims for around £49 for the year, anyone else taken one out and had to claim? 

Panda

[/quote]

I have had insurance with them for 2 years but have never made a claim. If you do, reading the small print then you require all sorts of reports.

Think it is worthwhile if you are hiring for several days a year. If not the hire cos exhoribtant rate might be best or take a gamble on whether you will have an accident.

Paul

[quote user="Colombier"]

Hello Panda

Please get your facts right!!! You have obviously never hired from buggs.!

As a regular user of buggs car hire in Bergerac, and what a releief from the big car hire companies, I can confirm you do NOT have to pay the extra 9 euros per day insurance. This is just an optional extra you can take out when you make your booking, everyone is allowed to decide the level of risk they are willing to accept, and with buggs you decide when making your booking, not in the queue at the airport when you have no time to assess what you are buying.

With buggs you cannot add it on when you arrive and buggs make no attempt to sell you this, or any other extra, when you collect your car. The alternative hire companies offer this extra insurance only when you collect the car, their excess is also considerably higher as is the cost of the waiver insurance.

You obviously have some financial rewards from insurance 4 car hire, which is why you are advertising their services on a forum, I am surprised such a blatent advert was passed by the forum.

I am not sure when they are opening at Angouleme but contact me and I will be happy to forward the email address for you to find out.

[/quote]

Ha, yeah right I'm waiting for my cheque from 4 car hire, must be lost in the post!  Now it's your turn to get your facts right, I was commenting on excess insurance, it's my favourite subject as I think it's daylight robbery, I was happy to look at hiring with Buggs, just not happy with the excess charge. 

I've now just checked the other car hire companies form Bergerac and can get excess cover for 1.95 per day (carhire3000) payable when you book (not in the queue) so thanks for getting me annoyed enough to make me compare other companies, thanks to you I won't now be booking with Buggs with or without the excess cover and this has saved me looking at  4 car hire insurance too, I wonder if they will now not send me that cheque [;-)].

Should I look out for you on the Bugs stand when I pass through Bergerac next time ?[:D]   (joke BTW)

We also went to the open day & were told by airport staff that at present only Hertz will be open for the Ryanair flights - they have exclusivity apparently.  Avis & Europcar are available normally but only during normal working hours............ Obviously depends which horse you speak to, currently you are unable to book online - we were given a phone number for our guests to call (in Angouleme) during normal working hours 

Panda

Sorry to have got you so annoyed, not intended that way.

I am aware of all the alternatives for excess cover. But read the small print to see what they all really cover. Personally i find you get what you pay for with insurance and the level of cover you receive from one company is not always what you get from another, even when the policy name is identical.  When you purchase an option outside the the hire company ie Insurance 4 car hire , you are still made to to pay the excess from the hire company if you have an incident and then you have to reclaim these expenses from the independant you take out he excess cover with. Also be aware that you may not know the excess has been taken from your credit card until you receive the credit card statement, by which time it is too late to get the money from the other insurance company, especially after you have spent the next 6 weeks trying to find out why they have taken it. Your car is not always inspected on its return to Bergerac, the car hire companies are not always open when you get there, and you just leave your keys in a box.(they have been known to find mystery scratches and dents, and it can be rather hard to prove them different)

I am still baffled why people are so obsessed with excess  cover. I am sure that 90% of policies you hold, whether it be for house or car, carry an excess, so why is so important to have excess cover when you hire a car. Are you more likely to have an accident in a hire car, or is it just the hire companies making you feel it is so important?

May I point out that as far as I am aware, carhire3000 do not exist as a carhire company and are not present at  Bergerac airport, they are just a kind of broker, in fact an insurance company using car hire to sell you insurance, and pass the car hire booking onto one of the companies at bergerac, ie National or Eurocar. Carhire3000 do have a single car for hire and will take car hire bookings irresspective of what or if any cars are available. They offer lots of gaurantees but what they do not seem to seem to gaurantee is what or if any car will be available.

From my experience, Buggs are a small local independant car hire company, and offer a good alternative to hiring from the bigger companies. Take your choice on excess cover but if i was you take the £49 annual policy from insurance 4 car hire seems best value to me if you hire for more than 25 days per year and give buggs a try.

On the subject of Angouleme, buggs will be there, as will Hertz as they are obliged to by Ryan Air. Not sure the others will be as the local franchises will not accommodate the demands of the late plane arrivals. Probably due to usual French employment problems, 35 hour week and all that.