Massive book sale and aperitif

A massive book sale and aperitif in aid of the charity Les amis des chats will take place on Sunday 7th December between 10h00 and 13h00 at their store at Place de la Mairie, Beauville, 47470.

Come and join us for a cheerful aperitif, spend your money, then take home some fantastic books and some good feeling for having helped the stray cats of our area at this cold and miserable time of year.

Norman, that wasn't a very polite posting!!!  I think there's room for all charities at all times of the year, sometimes the weekends clash.  Why should one charity dominate a particular time ..... I shall be supporting the Amis Des Chats and also the Telethon.  There's room for both!

Except that the Téléton has had this weekend for many years, and that there are another 51 weekends in the year to organise other events.

Hopefully les Amis Des Chats will recieve almost nothing and will understand that it would have been better to have done this at another date.

[quote user="NormanH"]Aren't you ashamed to be doing this in competition with the Téléton which helps medical charities each year?

With a a little sensitivity you could have found another weekend.
[/quote]

I thought that, in France,  it was permitted to support 2 charities, even over the same weekend, but perhaps I'm wrong as usual.

John

[quote user="NormanH"]Except that the Téléton has had this weekend for many years, and that there are another 51 weekends in the year to organise other events.
Hopefully les Amis Des Chats will recieve almost nothing and will understand that it would have been better to have done this at another date.
[/quote]

What an appalling person you are Norman. I presume that you are the official charity contribution police and that people must give to the charity that you decide they should give to. I also assume that there are only 52 charities so that they can each have their own weekend.

I wish LADC great success. If I were in the area then I would definitely come along and support AND put two fingers up to Norman.

It's just a question of the cultural insensitivity of New Brits

There are many days in the year in which to wish to raise money for one's  own pet charity, but when one  is  the guest of a host country one tries to abide by the customs, that is to say you follow the French calender rather than picking the date that suits you.

This is not a question of Norman being ' the official charity contribution police'

The weekend in question has been marked our for several years as dedicated to the Téléton.

This year I worked for it throughout the weekend and we raised over 500 euros.

In the past 15year I have been involved in fund-raising for Unicef,  Rétina France, les Restos du chœur, and also raised money for people left homeless after flooding.

In the last year alone the group I am with has raised over 1500 euros.

Why then the comments about hoping that I never need a charity?

If  ever I do it won't be one that raises money for cats instead of medical research.

[quote user="NormanH"]It's just a question of the cultural insensitivity of New Brits
There are many days in the year in which to wish to raise money for one's  own pet charity, but when one  is  the guest of a host country one tries to abide by the customs, that is to say you follow the French calender rather than picking the date that suits you.
This is not a question of Norman being ' the official charity contribution police'
The weekend in question has been marked our for several years as dedicated to the Téléton.

This year I worked for it throughout the weekend and we raised over 500 euros.

In the past 15year I have been involved in fund-raising for Unicef,  Rétina France, les Restos du chœur, and also raised money for people left homeless after flooding.
In the last year alone the group I am with has raised over 1500 euros.

Why then the comments about hoping that I never need a charity?
If  ever I do it won't be one that raises money for cats instead of medical research.
[/quote]

You have just proved me right - you are the official charity contribution police - we have to give to medical research otherwise it is wrong.

You also seem to have a peculiar idea about peoples status in France (I hasten to add that I am not yet resident in France). The statement a guest in the host country. One thing that immigrants have been accused of not doing in the UK is integrating and here you are effectively saying that people should not integrate they should always remain as though they do not belong.

As for the French calendar there is obviouslu one that states you may not raise money for a charity on these dates but you can on these.

Norman my opinion of you remains - and you have perhaps reinforced that.

Paul

In all fairness, I think NormanH has a valid point. Even if it is thought that he is putting it somewhat abruptly.[:)]

It is true that Téléthon weekend is a big deal these days, all over France. Many people participate, from many different walks of life, in many different events - it is even on French TV all day and all evening.

A relatively small event like "les Amis des Chats", although worthwhile in itself, is unable to compete, perhaps it was an oversight to schedule it at the same time as Téléthon - since everyone (almost) knows about Téléthon, it would automatically attract most of the people. It is a shame for Les Amis des Chats, to have picked that date, as it might have attracted less people because of it.

If I had a point, it would be to express surprise that not MORE people seem to know about Téléthon, which is now an institution in France.

My remark re "not needing a charity" is obvious. If you ever did, and there wasn't enough money for your particular need, I suggest you'd be dissapointed. Are you seriously saying on the same night as Children in Need on the BBC , NOTHING else has functions/events/fund raisers? I would find it hard to believe, these countries, no, the world is a big place, there is room for people to do what they want to do, to raise what ever they want to raise, for whatever cause they wish. And I think you'll find people have enough inteligence to donate to various causes "reletively", e.g most would donate more to a "human" medical charity that a cat rescue centre, but they would still donate, and surely that is the important part?

I would be moe likely to object to the UK lottry. Set up for "good causes", 90% of these causes are yet to see any funds, yet the Royal Opera House ( a running business surely?) has recieved over £80 million. Now the UK government is dipping into it for the Olympics and are threatening to do likewise for other non charity groups.

I do have problems with charities anyway, I once took part in a pro-celebrity rally event. I was teamed with Giles Watling (the vicar in Bread) who was a complete woose at anything over 40 mph. The event raised £150,000. A party was thrown to present the cheque. The chap recieving the cheque put it in his company car. He worked for the charity, his car? A Jaguar Lynx Eventer, price £100,000, and the party cost? £50,000.

In summary, I'll donate/raise money/ help out for who I like, when I like thanks!

5 Element wrote:

"If I had a point, it would be to express surprise that not MORE people seem to know about Téléthon, which is now an institution in France."

Yes, I agree. Certainly it's a very important event here and most local people and schools take part in the fund raising. I think it's Europe-wide too - a few years ago just after the Téléthon weekend, I found a balloon in our field with a message attached from a little girl in Italy. So it had been blown over the Alps! I wrote to her and received a reply.